95 T/A tranny vs. 95 Z tranny?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 T/A tranny vs. 95 Z tranny?

My wifes tranny blew out yesterday, 3rd & OD. She has a 95 Auto with the performance sift button on the center console.

A guy in the "for sale" forum has a 95 Z28 tranny.

My question is...is the Z28 tranny the same as the Trans Am in 1995?

Yep. The Z-28 is just not wired for the performance mode switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
      Yep. The Z-28 is just not wired for the performance mode switch.
      that stinks!.

thanx for the reply, Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by pandorasboyfriend
        that stinks!.

thanx for the reply, Kevin
        Not sure if you understand the response. The trannies are IDENTICAL. It is just the wiring harness on the Z28 body that is different. In fact, you can wire the Z28 to enable the performance mode.

But the trannies are identical, interchangeable, and the performance button on your wife's car will work.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Z28 don't have the performance mode switch but they are programmed to always be in the performance mode. Firebirds just have the switch to take it out of performance mode. You can't take the Z28 out of performance mode (unless you changed the program).

The trans is identical.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I'm just curious, what does the performance mode do? Does it let the engine run to a higher rpm or make the shifts firmer like a shift kit does?
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
              I'm just curious, what does the performance mode do? Does it let the engine run to a higher rpm or make the shifts firmer like a shift kit does?
              A good friend of mine had a '96 T/A. From what I remember, it just shifts at a higher RPM. It was a difference of 500 - 1,000 rpms if I recall. The shifts didn't feel any firmer to me, but it's been a while since I was in that car. He sold it in 2000.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                There are 2 tables on the programming. 1 is for normal mode and 1 is for performance mode. The switch on the Pontiac always the driver to choose which table it uses. The Camaro is always in performance mode. The performance mode raises both the shift points and line pressures.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

It's nice if you have the switch and can program your PCM because then you can taylor your shifts for nice & cushy to hard & raunchy with the push of a button. Like Fred mentioned, it isn't uncommon for the Z28 owners to wire in a switch to do this then maybe use LT1 Edit to make it do what they want. Inside the PCM, there are separate tables for Performance Mode Shift Offsets & for Normal Mode - both pressure & mph/rpm. I have mine set to hard & harder (for the track).

Comment

Interesting. I didn't realize it raised the line pressure as well. Like I said, it has been a while since I was in that car. Plus he almost never drove it out of performance mode.
                    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                    X