Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB: Which digital camera do you guys use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FastTA ..

Go to Cnet.com and check out their write-ups on digital cameras. They have lots of information and comparisons.
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

Kevin:
      I own the Jay's Sony upgrade model..the DSC W1 5.1..
      You would want from a digi camera (Sony specially)
      1) Quality images without waste memory space...the more quality the less memory available to store more pictures. The memory stick from Sony, regardless the capacity : 128, 246 512 1G etc have a excellent feature, the fast connection between the camera and the memory (PRO feature), so you can take pics more faster, so as the camera is able to take the next shot because the pic already taken is already stored in the memory stick media.This feature is very important when you will use the video mode.
      2) Lenses: Carl Zeiss the best german lenses all times, used in precised devises like microscopes, telescopes, you name them.
      3) Please see this links, the first one has the Camera specs
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2&vi=tech-data
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...photo&n=497272
      4) You'll want better optical zoom, forget the digital zoom feature
      5) You'll want a digital camera with automatic and manual modes in order to adjust your personal settings
      6)Battery life....this Sony model has one of the best energy life a battery could give..."Stamina feature"

Personally I would want to recommend this model to you because is the more balanced between price, quality and features...You will not regret the purchase
      Take care
      Dochidalgo
      97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
        Fred, what is it that you like specifically about the "Memory Stick PRO high speed card"?...
        From what I was able to find out, with the "standard" memroy stick, you are limited to 16 frames/sec. But that is for the "burst mode" operation... 16 images in a 1-second burst. The "PRO" stick allows you to record at 30 f/s during the burst. Then there is the high res 640x480 video (the instruction manual calls it "640 fine") that will only work with the PRO. Finally, I think the file transfer rates from the PRO are more compatible with USB 2.0 transfer rates, as well.

There are some exceptionally informative (and seemingly objective) reviews of some of these cameras online. This is the review for the DSC-P93, for example:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P93/P93A.HTM

We do road reconstruction, so its helpful to take a video of driving the full length of the road, then use the same camera for detailed still photos of problem areas, obstructions, sink holes, etc. I can get a couple of projects on a 256Mb stick, then transfer it to my desktop with a SanDisk media reader in a matter of a few seconds.

I also find that the 5.1M is overkill for most of what I use it for. I have it set at 3.0 M for just about everything.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback! This one seems to have a really nice video capability:

Sony Cyber-shotŪ DSC-M1 5.1

Comment

Olympus has some of the best optics in the industry. I stick with them.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I have/use a Nikon Coolpix 8700. Takes great shots, but it's extremely difficult to get a clear close focus shot. Feature loaded, uses Compact Flash/Microdrive removeable media.
              Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

What ever camera you get you should get rechargable batteries that are for digital eq, they will cost a ton of money but last a long time and there rechargable. They cost me 50 canadian for four and the charger but they last for like 100 pic's with the viewer on easly and are good for 1000 charges. Also look for one with better optical zoom rather then digital zoom, this reflects the quality of the lense so when you zoom in the quality of the picture is better.
                94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

I have a Minolta Dimage 7i and that seems to do everything well and has a nice 7x optical zoom, but batteries don't last too long. More recently, I got a Pentax ist-D which is an interchangeable lens body because all my film cameras were Pentax's, so I got the lenses for them which fit the digital. These are both mid-higher end SLR cameras with TTL viewers, not compacts. At work, we got a 3 year old Sony 4 megapixel camera (expensive when it was bought) which I really like - good on batteries, focuses up really close, and takes a beating. I've never owned an Olympus, but I've never heard a negative thing about them and read a lot of very good reviews. If I was going to buy a single small digital camera, I would have to give them a good hard look. Some of them have a really good optical & digital zoom.

Comment

Great feedback guys! I will keep all of this in mind (that which I can remember) when I go hunting for this camera. Circuit City seems to have the best prices right now for regular shopping. If I find a camera I like in a store, I will most likely order it online.

Comment

I use an HP R707...it's my second HP camera in 3 years. They are pretty good, but I'm looking at Sony next time round.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

This is what I use and it takes amazing stills. I have a handy cam too so I don't ever really use it for video.

http://www.business-supply.com/elect...ml?src=froogle
                        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

I will say the following about my Nikon Coolpix 8700: The battery is freaking amazing. It's lasted well over 100 shots and several 35 second high quality movie recordings too.
                          Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Darn digital business !!!
                            I purchased the Sony Cyber shot DSC W1 the last december and I already know there are 2 new upgrades.....
                            http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-6501_7-...ml?tag=nl.e497
                            Amazon is the best on line store I've used....IMHO
                            Good shoping!
                            Dochidalgo
                            97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Working...
                            X