Serpentine Belt Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpentine Belt Question

The serpentine belt on our '00 V-6 Camaro just split tonight. Funniest thing, it didn't rip apart across the width of the belt, but rather it split length-ways. Therefore, there was still probably 3/4 of the width of the belt still pulling. My son was driving, maybe 35-40 mph, drove on for another 1/8 mile until he could get it off the narrow country road he was on. He thinks he noticed the oil pressure gauge at "0". Could losing a serp belt damage anything internally on these engines?

Kevin

The serpentine belt drives the accessories, I doubt you could have done any damage. The oil pumpis not driven by the belt, I don't think it should have been affected. The gauge may have given false readings due to losing the altenator.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Thx Dave, I figured as much. It appears the belt only drives the alternator, AC compressor, and another accessory low on the driver's side front of the engine (partially hidden, but I am guessing it's the power steering pump).

This belt doesn't drive the camshaft (as on a Honda, for example), does it?

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kcmk
        Thx Dave, I figured as much. It appears the belt only drives the alternator, AC compressor, and another accessory low on the driver's side front of the engine (partially hidden, but I am guessing it's the power steering pump).

This belt doesn't drive the camshaft (as on a Honda, for example), does it?

Kevin
        Nope. Even on a Honda, I doubt the serpentine belt drives the cam(s). That would be a timing belt, but your 3.8 V6 has a timing chain. Just replace the belt and all should be well in the world again. I wouldn't worry about any damage to the motor or accessories. And, in case nobody has said it...welcome to the board
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
          Nope. Even on a Honda, I doubt the serpentine belt drives the cam(s). That would be a timing belt, but your 3.8 V6 has a timing chain. Just replace the belt and all should be well in the world again. I wouldn't worry about any damage to the motor or accessories. And, in case nobody has said it...welcome to the board
          My post was poorly worded, as I was using the term "serpentine belt" synonymously with "timing belt". The mechanism, on a Honda, which drives the camshaft(s) off of the crank is in fact a belt. They are laborious and expensive to replace, and word has it, it can be catastrophic if it fails.

It should be so simple, shouldn't it? To change a belt on your car....and make everything well in the world!

And no, no one did say it. So, thank you for the welcome, Steve.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kcmk
            My post was poorly worded, as I was using the term "serpentine belt" synonymously with "timing belt". The mechanism, on a Honda, which drives the camshaft(s) off of the crank is in fact a belt. They are laborious and expensive to replace, and word has it, it can be catastrophic if it fails.

It should be so simple, shouldn't it? To change a belt on your car....and make everything well in the world!

And no, no one did say it. So, thank you for the welcome, Steve.

Kevin

Yes. it can be catastrophic if a timing belt breaks. Thank the stars your car does not have one! There are two kinds of engines:
            (1) interference based engines
            (2) non interference based engines.

In an interference based engine it is possible for the pistons to crash into the valves if the timing belt/chain is broken. In a non interference engine it is not possible because the pistons and valves are designed not to interfere. I know the V8 engines in our cars are non interference. I assume the V6 ones are as well, but am not completely sure.

In any event it looks like your repair of your serp belt will be quick and easy. Welcome to the forum.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
            X