Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Z28 trouble

Hello from Germany!

Besides my operable LS1 i have a 1995 LT1 i purchased recently and which is giving me trouble.

It is a 1995 TransAm with the notorious 4L60E in.

Regarding to the guy who sold me the car it is not the original tranny and has never worked satisfyingly yet.

It had only two gears operable when i bought it, namely 1st and 3rd, now even 3rd is gone.

The numbers on the tranny housing are:

4FFD
    614FFDY12273021
    M30

My question: Is this the proper tranny for the 95 TransAM / Z28 and shall i rebuild this or better go all the way and get a rebuilt one? (Hard to get to Germany, shipping is expensive)

Also is it true, that i can only use a 95 tranny for the rebuild (one less solenoid?)

Greetz.

Red

I'm not exactly a transmission expert, but it could be so many things. All the posts I've read in the past that had similar problems were solved with things like flashing the computer, replacing VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), shift solenoids, all the way up to rebuilding or swaping the tranny. Are you getting a SES (Service Engine Soon) light?

Can anyone else shed some light for RedZed ?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Its shows SES all the time when i go out of gear and idle or step on the brake at the red light. As soon as i get moving, it comes of. And sometimes vice versa However the car definitively had 2 gears and now even third is gone. Would hate to spend almost 2k (yes, it´s that expensive over here!) on a tranny rebuild and see that i have the wrong tranny in there....

HELP - PLEASE!

If anybody has a genuine 95 Z29 or TransAm 4L60E at his hands, i´d be more than willing to buy it

Rgds,

ReD

Comment

Welcome to the forums! I can't help you too much with your problem but I know others will when they hop on here. The first thing I'd do is get the computer scanned to see what trouble codes have been set by that SES light. Being a 95 you should be OBD I so you may even be able to pull the codes yourself without a scanner. Other should be able to help with that.

One note about scanning the computer if you have someone else do it: 95 was an odd year from what I understand. It was still an OBD I computer, but the disgnostic port is an OBD II style. If you hook up an OBD II scanner to the port under your dash board it won't be able to read anything. This gives some shops who aren't familiar with this problem some headaches. You need a scanner for OBD I computers with an adapter for an OBD II hookup.

Good luck! When morning rolls around and the "smart" people get in, you'll get your answers.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
        X