3800 V6 upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3800 V6 upgrades

i am kinda new to all this. i recently bought a 1999 firebird with the 3800 series 2 v6. it isnt quite enough power, however, i can't afford a 350 (which is what id like to do) or a supercharger (as i havent found one for under 3 grand). im sure i wouldnt like my insurance with that 350 in there anyway. is there anything else that i can do to increase power at the rear wheels

on another forum i saw a guy who customized his transmission to shift harder, and when it does shift it doesnt lose as many RPMs. is this probably just a shift kit, or is there something else you have to do to the tranny.

if anyone could help me out id really appreciate it!!!

A shift kit would definately be a good mod, but it won't give you any more power, per se. It may feel a little more powerful because of the firmer, quicker shifts, but you aren't making any more power. I'd start with the basics like Cold air induction and cat-back exhaust. You can always move to headers, rocker arms, etc.... Suspension upgrades are always good too but again, they don't produce more power.... but they may get you more power to the ground and make the car more fun to drive. Visit some of this site's sponsors, most have a V6 section. When the time comes, you can always strap a supercharger on there. Best to have a good foundation for it anyways, though (intake/exhaust/suspension)
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Good points in the post above... first you need to up the engine's power, then get it to the rear wheels in the correct "form" and keep those wheels hooked to the pavement.

As far as increasing power, you need to look at the same steps that people are using to imporve their 350's.... it might be harder to find the parts though.
      -cold air intake
      -throttle body coolant bypass (if they have coolant on the V6 TB)
      -underdrive crank pulley
      -headers
      -high flow cat and catback exhaust
      -look into the availability of more aggressive camshaft, and higher ratio full roller rocker arms.
      -nitrous. Yes, there are V6's running in the 12's on nitrous. Be selective in the parts you choose, and use them wisely.

Power train:
      -higher stall on the converter.
      -shift kit
      -higher numerical rear axle ratio
      -limited slip differential, is you don't already have one (they were optional on the V6's).

Power to the ground:
      -wider, stickier tires
      -wider, light weight alloy wheels
      -tubular lower control arms
      -LCA relocation brackets
      -tubular, adjustable panhard rod
      -subframe connectors

Other ideas:
      -weight reduction. Removing 100# will increase your trap speed by 0.8 MPH and reduce your ET by 0.12-seconds.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

for the 3800, slp engineering makes a rocker arm kit that gives you the same hp increase as a mild cam. After that, any other mods that increase the flow of air into and out of the engine will help. If you change gears, don't go higher than 3.42...... along with computer mods to correct the speedo, shift points and for a better target a/f ratio.

Comment

Hey Joe, how hard is it to change rocker arms? That sounds like a good idea for my next mod...whenever I have the money to spend on it. Is it something a very inexperienced mechanic such as myself could do?

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

hey thanks a lot for all the ideas. i really appreciate it!

injuneer where are some good places online to find some of the things that you mentioned such as the shift kit cold air intake etc.....

one more thing. a buddy of mine purchased a cold air intake for his 2000 chevy impala with the 3.4 L v6 in it. and after installing it didnt quite idle correctly. if i were to install a cold air intake would i need a new computer chip or any sensors like a mass air flow sensor??

Comment

you should buy my SLP loudmouth exhaust
              '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
              Stock with an irratic idle...
              (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Originally posted by firechicken3800
                one more thing. a buddy of mine purchased a cold air intake for his 2000 chevy impala with the 3.4 L v6 in it. and after installing it didnt quite idle correctly. if i were to install a cold air intake would i need a new computer chip or any sensors like a mass air flow sensor??
                Nope. The intake will just pop right in and your good to go
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                  Hey Joe, how hard is it to change rocker arms? That sounds like a good idea for my next mod...whenever I have the money to spend on it. Is it something a very inexperienced mechanic such as myself could do?
                  It is very simple. The design is a shaft mounted system rather than individual rockers bolted to a stud. This simplifies installation.

EDIT: The series two rockers are not the traditional 3.8 shaft mount design. Here are the rockers:

These are more like the traditional rocker and stud combo. Sorry for the mis-info. Here is the full product page:

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...16&BIG=51116-1

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
                    EDIT: As joe stated above

My original statement wasn't for a shaft mounted system...had no idea that's how the 3.8 is.....learn something new everyday on these boards
                    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

can u get a shift kit for an automatic tranny ( with the 3800 V6 motor) ??

Comment

Sure you can! B&M makes a trans go kit for it. Look for a Corvette Servo also. You can always get an SC I did! $ 1500. Took me about six hours to install. Could do it in one now. Check out firebirdv6.com, tell them I sent you. There is a modifications page that walks you through everything. A 3800 is not a bad platform really. I know some LS1 people scoff at us V6er's but there are a lot of us out there, and we do make fast cars Just ask the Mustang I ate for lunch yesterday. He is pizzed he got beat by a V6 AND a girl

Comment

Originally posted by jessica2112
                          Sure you can! B&M makes a trans go kit for it. Look for a Corvette Servo also. You can always get an SC I did! $ 1500. Took me about six hours to install. Could do it in one now. Check out firebirdv6.com, tell them I sent you. There is a modifications page that walks you through everything. A 3800 is not a bad platform really. I know some LS1 people scoff at us V6er's but there are a lot of us out there, and we do make fast cars Just ask the Mustang I ate for lunch yesterday. He is pizzed he got beat by a V6 AND a girl
                          I don't think you'll find anyone in here scoffing at you because you own a V6. You buy what you can afford (outright or for insurance purposes). As long as it's an F-body, you're one of us.
                          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

if you are looking for an overall improvement in the way teh car responds you don't need to be too concerned with engine parts.
                            first thing i would suggest woudl be some real gears, 3.73's would be nice, 4.10's would be better. look into getting a whisper lid and fast toys or slp ram air.
                            a 3inch cat back with !cat would be great, a high flow cat will do if you are worried about emissions.
                            the best thing you can do for the car is get hptuners and fix the weak ass programming gm delivered from the factory.
                            a visit to www.camarov6.com or www.fullthrottlev6.com will give you more details.
                            look for posts and info from "little g". he has a bolt on only '02 5spd car running 13.6's and it is still and he doesn't even have a good exhausst on it yet.

later
                            tim
                            83 Camaro Z28
                            New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
                            www.NJFBOA.org
                            East Coast F-Body Nationals
                            http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Comment

3.73s (since you're auto) and a trans go shift kit along with a corvette servo would make a nice combo, may as well get a nice higher stall convertor while your at it.
                              '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
                              Stock with an irratic idle...
                              (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Working...
                              X