Vortec 5.7 dilemma, take a look if you want to take a stab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortec 5.7 dilemma, take a look if you want to take a stab

OK, here's the deal. My 1998 Tahoe has a Vortec 5.7 liter, 4L60E, and is a 4x4. I just recently put in a brand new GM crate longblock (old motor spun a rod bearing). These Vortec's have a fuel injection setup that is not your "run-of-the-mill" sequential FI. They have what is called a Central Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection system (CSFI)...some refer to it as CPI. Anyway, it uses a central fuel control metering body that houses 8 individual injector packs. Then you have 8 poppet valves for each cylinder leading off of the fuel metering body. The FP regulator is housed inside of the upper plenum of the intake and does not depend on ported vaccum, but it is prone to leak.

Anyway, these CSFI metering assemblies are prone to problems especially with the poppet valves. The PV's are spring loaded so they depend directly on fuel pressure to open correctly.

Well enough rambling...we determined that my #1 and #2 poppet valves were not functioning properly, however there are no cylinder misfires or anything else abnormal on the scanner for that matter. Oil pressure is good. We can audibly hear "lean popping" and upon inspection of the 1 and 2 plugs, they show extremely lean.

The problem is, the 1 and 2 cylinders were apparently burning significant oil due to the white/blue smoke. We chalked this up to the extremely lean condition causing a lack of upper cylinder lubrication and the rings getting roasted. The valve seals are brand new and still good. The upper guides look fine(new heads).

Funny thing is we just ran some very strong cleaner through the poppet valves in an attempt to "free" the 1 and 2 poppet valve and although it did run much better after this, it is obvious that the 1 and 2 are still not getting "full" fuel delivery (plugs still show lean and a infrared thermo test shows the 1 and 2 primary much colder than the rest). But now the white/blue smoke has dissappeared??

Anyone care to take a stab? I'm still working on this, but I'm open to ideas!

BTW I bought a full warranty, so I'm pretty darn close to just swapping out longblocks AGAIN!

How hard would it be to replace the poppet valves, or is that possible? If not, what would the cost be to replace whatever part or parts tht house the PV's? Are there any other solutions for the fuel delivery system (i.e. can you change/upgrade it)?

It sounds like the cleaner may have freed up the 2 PV's, but not enough to put them back to operating spec, hence the reason those cylinders are still running lean. Just my educated guess.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

i kno on the chevy blazers we deal with at work(96 style) the unit is like $200 or so to replace, u just cant replace one or couple, u gotta do the whole unit
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Actually you can replace each individual poppet valve. They sell them individually. But, I am going to just go ahead and replace the entire CSFI unit. They go for about $250-260 at cost.

The thing that bewildered us was how the substantial oil burning just quit out of the blue. This was a lot of smoke being emitted...not like a valve seal or guide going bad.

Comment

Ordered a complete new CSFI unit today. Going to put it in over the weekend. I may pull the heads just to look at the combustion chambers and piston tops. It is still continuing to not smoke any more?

Comment

Dude, I think your Tahoe is on crack lol

But, as long as there's no smoke, that is a good thing. But, pulling the heads wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would getting them P&P'ed while they're off lol
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Dude, I think your Tahoe is on crack lol

But, as long as there's no smoke, that is a good thing. But, pulling the heads wouldn't be a bad idea. Neither would getting them P&P'ed while they're off lol
              It IS on crack! Gen 1 Vortec heads aren't even worth porting IMO. I am going to probably get everything fixed on it this weekend and put her up for sale for a reasonable price. It's time for a new tow vehicle. Do you want a Hoe!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                It IS on crack! Gen 1 Vortec heads aren't even worth porting IMO. I am going to probably get everything fixed on it this weekend and put her up for sale for a reasonable price. It's time for a new tow vehicle. Do you want a Hoe!
                rotflmao!!!!

Naw, I've got 3 tempermental children as it is, I don't need a 4th one lol. What are you gonna replace it with? Gonna go old or new?
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                  rotflmao!!!!

Naw, I've got 3 tempermental children as it is, I don't need a 4th one lol. What are you gonna replace it with? Gonna go old or new?
                  Maybe a 2-3 year old 2500 HD. They tow really well and they look good! All depends on funds over the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                    Maybe a 2-3 year old 2500 HD. They tow really well and they look good! All depends on funds over the next few months.
                    Niiiice. Gonna go Duramax or the 8.1?
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X