No announcement yet.

GM's planned cutbacks are announced....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's planned cutbacks are announced....

GM to close more plants, cut 25,000 jobs

WILMINGTON, Del. (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) expects to close more assembly and component plants over the next few years, slashing about 25,000 manufacturing jobs, as it battles high costs and shrinking market share, the company's chief executive said on Tuesday.

Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner also told the annual meeting that GM, which lost $1.1 billion in the first quarter, expects to save $2.5 billion a year from the cost-cutting measures.

The world's largest automaker, whose shares were up 2.3 percent, has been closing and idling plants over the past four years, reducing its annual assembly capacity from six million vehicles in 2002 to five million by the end of this year.

A benchmark annual report on North American manufacturing operations released last week ranked GM last among leading automakers in its assembly plant capacity utilization rate.

The report, prepared by Harbour Consulting of Troy, Michigan, said GM used 85 percent of its North American plant capacity in 2004, compared with a utilization rate of 107 percent at Toyota Motor Corp.
    2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

And going to cut the union's health care benefits. One problem is that the age is coming when the union workers making $20-$30/hr are going to have to compete with the Chinese workers who work for about $2/day and never heard of health care. And GM is IN China. Ford, on the other hand, MADE 1.2 billion, even though it was less than expected. Yeah, this months MT was pretty telling.

Comment

This seems to back up the rumors I heard that specialty cars are way on the back burner. Unions have their place, but when power swings too much in either direction everyone suffers. I worked on an assembly line once, and I hated it. Talk about drones. I didn't last a week. However 20-30 dollars an hour is out of line for a job that takes little skill to learn. If I was a manufacturer I would be scrambling to move my factory away from the unions, and the crazy heath care costs in this country. Talk about a rip off, health care is #1.

Comment

to me, $20-30/hr is crazy.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
        X