Second power window motor going out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second power window motor going out.

One day I'm coming home and I roll my driver side window down and it wouldn't go back up. So me and my father replaced the window motor and now about 1 year later the new window motor is starting to show the same symptoms it did a year ago. It goes up very slow and sometimes the window will stop going up and I will have to go down and then back up to get it unstuck. Something else must be eating these motors up, my passenger side motor works fine and I have never had a single problem with it. Yet it seems I'm about to be on the my 3rd driver side window motor with this car. Any idea on what could be causing these motors to die out so quickly?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
    One day I'm coming home and I roll my driver side window down and it wouldn't go back up. So me and my father replaced the window motor and now about 1 year later the new window motor is starting to show the same symptoms it did a year ago. It goes up very slow and sometimes the window will stop going up and I will have to go down and then back up to get it unstuck. Something else must be eating these motors up, my passenger side motor works fine and I have never had a single problem with it. Yet it seems I'm about to be on the my 3rd driver side window motor with this car. Any idea on what could be causing these motors to die out so quickly?
    Hey, that sounds familiar lol. Did you replace it with a GM motor or get a Kragen/Autozone/etc. motor?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I was talking to a friend of mine who works at a Jeep dealership. He suggested spraying the window tracks with silicone. Let it soak in and it will fix a lot of the window problems. I think they may even have put out a TSB for it that says this.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        I was talking to a friend of mine who works at a Jeep dealership. He suggested spraying the window tracks with silicone. Let it soak in and it will fix a lot of the window problems. I think they may even have put out a TSB for it that says this.
        The moron that used to own my car used the silicone trick, except he did the rubber/felt weatherstripping on the inside of the door panel. Now everytime I roll my window up, it streaks like a SOB. I can't imagine it needed it either. The car is only an '02 with 16k. /end rant
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
          The moron that used to own my car used the silicone trick, except he did the rubber/felt weatherstripping on the inside of the door panel. Now everytime I roll my window up, it streaks like a SOB. I can't imagine it needed it either. The car is only an '02 with 16k. /end rant

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

What a rocket scientist! Oh man, thats gotta suck. You know those outside mouldings are easy to replace. Why not just order a couple?
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

What a rocket scientist! Oh man, thats gotta suck. You know those outside mouldings are easy to replace. Why not just order a couple?
            I probably should. Just too lazy I guess.

The worst part is, this isn't the dumbest thing he did to the poor car. But that's a whole other thread...
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Yea my friend said not to do that. I'd get some carb cleaner and spray it.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

windows

Have had 2 93-95 Camaros, and every one of the window motors went bad. They are a real weak spot. I have used Auto parts store motors, and so far they have all lasted more than one year.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                  Hey, that sounds familiar lol. Did you replace it with a GM motor or get a Kragen/Autozone/etc. motor?
                  It is an AC Delco motor.
                  1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
                    It is an AC Delco motor.
                    Go with a Kragen/Autozone/etc. motor, cheaper, better warranty and they last longer.
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I have had at least 4 PW motors in my 1995 camaro. Just recently the passenger started slowing down again. I bought a rebuilt from o'reillys and removed my old one and put the new one in and I guess what still slow as ever.
                      The old one had as much torque if not more than the new one which means there must be issues with the window tracks and mechanics.
                      I sprayed some lithium grease on the tracks and rubbed it in good and now the windows works much better.
                      It still seems as if thought the window is much to heavy for the motor cause ive seen brand new camaros whose windows go up with very little oomph.
                      Ive began to wonder if the recoil spring that assists the window in going up starts to get weak due to wear and tear.
                      I am convinced that most peoples problems are not the motors but the tracks, ive seen my shut down, go slow and everything else.
                      You can also consider supercharging your window motor or equipping it with a 150 shot of nitrous.
                      The real truth is the motors are underpowered and inadequate as a result of crappy engineering by probobly the same genious at GM who put the optispark under the water pump.
                      1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                      Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                      Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Power Window

I had the same problem with the driver side only. The window went down and wouldn't come up. Luckily it was still under warranty and the dealer replaced it. Then as soon as the warranty went out, it did the same thing. I ordered an aftermarket one on ebay, and it has lasted a while. I truly belive that the window is too heavy for that motor. The express down feature doesn't help it either. It just has more wear and tear. I also agree it is a poor motor for such a big window.
                        1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
                        2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Had this problem in my '99 Firebird. Had BOTH window motors replaced, even though only the passengers was bad (under warranty). Worked fine, right up until my warranty ran out...actually, the passenger window never did work great, but at least it went up & down w/o sticking, etc.

No probs yet with my Camaro, and don't look forward to any. Have heard that the electrical in the F-bods is a major complaint.

Comment

I'm about to replace both of mine. Any tips?
                            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

To everyone let me state again,
                              LUBE THE TRACKS FIRST with water proof lithium grease. I put a new rebuilt in and it worked worse than the 4 year old one. There is a verticle track and a horizontal track. You can also adjust those padded things that apply pressure to the glass, there are two of them. If those things are out of adjustment then that adds extra resistance that the weak motor must overcome. If you have to replace it you will need to drill out the stock aluminum rivets and bolt the new motor up. Dont forget the lock washers but avoid loc-tite cause you may have to do this again. Also be sure the window is held when you pull the motor or it will fall like a rock.
                              Right noew the same window that crept upward flys up and down simply by doing the above without motor replacement.
                              1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                              Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                              Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Working...
                              X