Engine Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Ideas

I just finished changing the opti and waterpump on my camaro, everything went well and turned out great. Since my quad is sold and the golf course is in full action, i have some dinero to maybe spend, the rest is for college. I know some of you guys have very good understandings on cams and parts needed. I was reading about good cams that pull hard from mid-high which is what im looking for. Do they have that awesome idle sound also, and what else will i need to get if i do a cam. Im planning on keeping stock heads too. It would be great if you guys could give me some advice and maybe estimates on past experiences with this engine mod. I love the sound of those lt1's with cams!!!
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Before you even think about changing cams, you need other work first. You should look into headers as your next mod. It will change the sound, give you more HP and torque, not to mention that down the road when you change cams the engine can breathe. Without that, a cam change is hardly worth it.....

An engine is merely an air pump. The path in and out must be modified to be free flowing with no restrictions. Until you do that, changing the amount of air that the engine tries to move (bigger cam) will not result in satisfactory gains.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Before you even think about changing cams, you need other work first. You should look into headers as your next mod. It will change the sound, give you more HP and torque, not to mention that down the road when you change cams the engine can breathe. Without that, a cam change is hardly worth it.....

An engine is merely an air pump. The path in and out must be modified to be free flowing with no restrictions. Until you do that, changing the amount of air that the engine tries to move (bigger cam) will not result in satisfactory gains.
      I was planning on doing the headers too with the cam exchange and a new y pipe for them. Will long tubes and a new y pipe also give me a much more aggressive tone. I am definetly doing the headers, but then i knew i might be able to do a cam and get some extra power and that awesome sound. Thanks
      1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I found pacesetters long tubes at summit for 429 dollars. Coated an they have the AIR fitting on them. Which y pipe with dual cats can be linked to this. I am definetly doing the exhaust so i need some help. What does deleting the EGR valve do also. Thanks

Comment

I looked up the emission tests for my county. It says the only tests are on-board diagnosis check and the gas cap check. So would Pacesetter emmision legal headers witht there y pipe and cats welded into them work? I would have AIR, EGR, Cats, and O2 sensors. Right???

Comment

Working...
          X