• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• performance tire at affordable price

if Michelin blesses it...then its good.

fyi:

Michelin launching Riken Raptor UHP line for Alliance dealers
    Tire Business staff report ©

GREENVILLE, S.C. (June 7, 2005) — Michelin North America Inc. is launching the Riken Raptor ZR ultra-high-performance tire line, initially for Michelin’s Alliance dealers.

Michelin is rolling out the W-speed-rated line in June initially in 27 sizes in 16-, 17- and 18-inch fitments; the firm said it will follow in July with two 20-inch sizes.

The new tire is designed to compete in performance and price with other lower tier UHP tires, Michelin said, including Toyo/Nitto, Kumho, Falken, Hankook and Cooper.

The Riken Raptor ZR—which features a directional tread pattern—combines “cutting-edge” looks with high-performance design and construction designed to appeal to consumers looking for a high-quality performance tire at an affordable price, the Greenville-based tire maker said.

“This tire line is designed to provide our dealers with a tire that will deliver the right performance at the right price for the consumer looking to customize and improve the look and performance of their vehicle,” said Thom Peebles, brand director Riken Tires.

“We will continue to build Riken by introducing new sizes and new lines to provide our customers with the product they need to capitalize on the profitable lower price tier of the UHP market.”

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Great News. I just hope it performs somewhat like there higher priced tires.
    No F-Body right now

Comment

Well, should be interesting to see how it does.

Firestone just started up a budget performance brand called Fuzion. I got a set of their H-rated (HRi) tires on the Sebring and they seem to do well enough. Heck of a site cheaper than the stock Michelen XGT4's for sure. I prefer them as a matter of fact. They also have some Z-rated tires (ZRi), but I don't know much about them.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Nice find, Ken. I immediately sent this article over to my brother who is in the market for a new set of "low-tier" performance tires for his C4 Vette. He was looking at Kuhmo's, but wasn't too keen on them. He'll be happy to read this.

Thanks.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
          Nice find, Ken. I immediately sent this article over to my brother who is in the market for a new set of "low-tier" performance tires for his C4 Vette. He was looking at Kuhmo's, but wasn't too keen on them. He'll be happy to read this.

Thanks.
          Kumho's a no no....... they reek....

I get all the tire buss. updates on their mailing lists... i figured this one would be a good one for us perf car folks...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I had a set of Kuhmo's once. Belts shifted on the two fronts within 1,500 miles. Never again, especially since you gave then the thumbs down. When it comes to tires, I take your word as gospel.
            SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
            Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Has anyone heard anymore about these or had any experiences with them? I am considering them for my TA, 450 for all 4 275/40ZR17

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Its too bad they are all seasons. I dont need snow traction.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                  Its too bad they are all seasons. I dont need snow traction.
                  It's too bad they are French owned.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                  X