nfb: been tellin yall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfb: been tellin yall

Im glad to see it, even if i am GSA Fleets NHTSA rep., I told NHTSA that the "25"% is a problem.... when some tires are that low, they are already in the danger zone.... but nooooooooooooooo............. they know better...

Today's Headlines
    TIA, tire companies, Public Citizen sue NHTSA over TPMS rule
    Tire Business staff report©

WASHINGTON (June 7, 2005) — Four tire companies, a consumer advocacy group and an industry trade association are suing the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to overturn the new final rule on tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS).

Goodyear, Bridgestone/Firestone, Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. and Pirelli Tire North America Inc. have joined Public Citizen and the Tire Industry Association (TIA) in fighting NHTSA’s rule.

The TPMS standard as written is inadequate to protect the safety of motorists, the plaintiffs have told the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

The rule calls for a warning light to illuminate whenever one or more tires on a vehicle fall 25 percent below the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended air pressure for at least 20 minutes, and contains no provision to mandate that replacement tires are compatible with the vehicle’s monitoring system.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association is not a party to the suit because there is no consensus among the RMA’s tire maker members regarding the issue, an association spokesman said.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

What are these people smoking? At 25% the tire would only have like 26psi in it!!! Ok at the track maybe, not a real good start on the highway. Go Wolfie!!! Get 'em!!

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
    95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
    Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LT1
      What are these people smoking? At 25% the tire would only have like 26psi in it!!! Ok at the track maybe, not a real good start on the highway. Go Wolfie!!! Get 'em!!

-Paul
      and its been running for 20 min that way already...

lets see....

98 degrees in El Paso, Texas... family minivan cruising on vacation.... doing 75mph in the middle of nowhere.....no cops in site..... left front tire is 25% underinflated....and going down....... 15 min into the "20 min" run time... the belt package seperates from the heat that disapated the fusion ....then boom...blow out.... dad hits the brakes, minivan dives left and rolls...........

on survivor........if the 911 crew can reach them in time...in the desert heat..........

no... one life is not even worth the mistake, nhtsa................

dont worry... ill be screaming in court...cause i know the industry is going to suppena me..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Ken........I have the accu-check pressure caps you recommended awhile back and recently got a nail in one my tires and would never have noticed it except for those caps. When the yellow and just a wee bit of red was showing on the cap, I took the pressure and it was at 23 pounds (compared to a normal 30). That's about a 25% drop but at least I noticed it and started checking the tire until I found the nail (right on the tread edge again...no repair was possible...aaargh ). You couldn't tell the tire was underinflated and it would probably have dropped even further before I noticed it unless I had those caps. In the meantime we were driving on a grossly underinflated tire in a Ford Explorer which you remember has always been controversial because of this exact condition and propensity to allow the vehicles to roll over in the event of a blow out.

The point I am trying to make is we need automatic tire pressure monitor systems on all our cars........but we need a system we can have confidence in too! I only hope NHTSA and the Tire Dealers can work out their differences on this one. Using my example of my own vehicle I wholeheartedly agree with your comment on the 25%. I would go with 15% if it were me. That way a 30 pound tire would cause an alarm to sound with a 4 pound drop which makes a lot more sense than realizing you have a problem only after a 7 pound drop.
        2000 Camaro SS..........6 speed triple black

Comment

Working...
        X