Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB* Made some floats for my RC heli - pics/vid/carnage...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB* Made some floats for my RC heli - pics/vid/carnage...

Spent about $5.00 on the whole thing.. Tested it in the bath tub, and it worked well.. So, time to go to a pond.

Was going OK, I landed in the water, was cool, though it wasn't as boyant as I had hoped.

Crank the engine back up, it torques around, and I ALMOST lost it, but caught it.

Came back around for another attempt, landed in the water, it started sinking a bit. At that point I SHOULD HAVE shut it down, and grabbed it since it was only a couple feet off the shore, but no, I cranked it back up attempting to fly out of it. One pontoon was filled with water so it leaned over, and I smacked the blades in the water.

The only damage is busted blades - but I have 4 spare sets at home so no worries

Those were HeliFloats v1.06. v2.04 will have two noodles on each side, and I will cap each end so water does not go inside them and flood them.

Ok, here's the carnage video:
    http://cousinlarry.com/videos/rc/rap50floats.wmv
    8.5mb - save target as please!
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

That looks like a fun toy dude. And I have to agree with you, definately should have walked over and grabbed it.
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

LOL
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

All the guys here at the shop got a kick out of that. Try making some of those floaty things out of fiber glass. Just use those foam things at the structure and take it out when its dry, then just cap the ends. Dondo it up and paint. They'll look nice. Cool video
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking of different things I could use to make them.. Fiberglass might be cool, gotta look into that.

If you liked that vid, here's a better crash

http://www.cousinlarry.com/videos/rc...rash031905.wmv - crash after my receiver battery fell out inverted.

And here's one with no crash, just a little sky dancin.
          http://www.cousinlarry.com/images/rc/rap50.WMV

Comment

An idea that worked for me was a section of flexible fabric screening rolled to the desired diameter with a bag of air inside. Don't use the metal screening, use the fiberglass/fabric. You can use ziploc sandwich bags as the airbags! Roll the screen around the bag and glue the edge, it forms a lightweight pontoon that doesn't absorb water.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
              Yeah, I was thinking of different things I could use to make them.. Fiberglass might be cool, gotta look into that.

If you liked that vid, here's a better crash

http://www.cousinlarry.com/videos/rc...rash031905.wmv - crash after my receiver battery fell out inverted.

And here's one with no crash, just a little sky dancin.
              http://www.cousinlarry.com/images/rc/rap50.WMV

wow! That was really cool flying, and a tough wreck. I was laughing (not at the crash) but at the fact that you tried to pull it up with the floats under, even though it looked like there was no chance. I would have done the same thing. It must be guy thing!

Sometimes with gas powered r/c's the fun part is fixing them when you have tore them up. (this coming from a guy who has a $300 nitro r/c) I'm sure that heli was much much much more than $300.

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
              Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blevyou know
                wow! That was really cool flying, and a tough wreck. I was laughing (not at the crash) but at the fact that you tried to pull it up with the floats under, even though it looked like there was no chance. I would have done the same thing. It must be guy thing!

Sometimes with gas powered r/c's the fun part is fixing them when you have tore them up. (this coming from a guy who has a $300 nitro r/c) I'm sure that heli was much much much more than $300.
                Agreed. I tore the right side A-arms clear off my T-Maxx. I was WOT and got a bit loose on some dirt. Drifted right over a buried rock. The tip of it was sticking out just enough to destroy the entire right front suspension.

It was fun rebuilding it though.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

It's been a long time, but there's a name for what happened. When I was in flight school that was one of the things they told us to look out for when flying a helicopter. Something about when one wheel/skid still has weight on it and you lift off and the whole aircraft pivots on that contact point.
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD
                  Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                    It's been a long time, but there's a name for what happened. When I was in flight school that was one of the things they told us to look out for when flying a helicopter. Something about when one wheel/skid still has weight on it and you lift off and the whole aircraft pivots on that contact point.

Dynamic Rollover

yep. I know how that goes

Comment

Yep...that's the one.

And, just for fun, here's some ground resonance:

http://www.heli-chair.com/videos_pub..._Side_View.mpg

(beware...large file)
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Those are entertaining videos. I was wondering if you could make float tubes out of economy grade PVC with end caps. I once built an auxillary fuel tank for an ultralite using PVC, and it worked real well. Not sure if it would be too heavy for your RC though. Otherwise, maybe cardboard tubes painted with laquer to waterproof them.

Comment

Great vids. Heli crashes are far better than fixed wing crashes. Can't tell you how many times I crashed my Piccolo's.

At least you didn't have to swim in and get it.

I had to swim to get my PiperCub(.40) with floats once. Not fun....

John
                          97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
                          02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
                          99 Bravada

Comment

Working...
                          X