Convertible WS6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible WS6

Just thinkin bout getting an LS1 and I have always wanted a Black convertible. I really want a WS6 convertible, but my question is do they all come with the standard firebird wing or are there some that were made with the T/A wings. It just seems like all of the black WS6 convertibles on autotrader have just the standard small wing. Just wondering.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

4th Gen convertible T/A's all came with the "low-rise" wing.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

That is what I thought, thanks for the knowledge Injuneer.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

With that said will the tall wing fit on the verts trunk?

Comment

Not sure how the "stock" low-rise wing attaches to the converible trunk lid. On the coupes, the wing is molded integrally with the rest of the hatch assembly, while the T/A high-rise wing is actually a separate piece bolted to the hatch assembly. If you own a Firebird or Formula coupe, the only way to add the high-rise wing is to swap the complete hatch assembly. That obviously wouldn't work on a convertible. But I don't know if the convert low-rise wing is molded into the trunk lid, or a piece that can be unbolted.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks, just curious. I may end up gettin a T-top car. Not sure!!! Just kinda thinkin bout it for now. I may wait till after summer.

Comment

On the verts the spoiler is the deck lid (trunk) looks like you would have to find a aftermarket deck lid / spoiler and I think the trim is gonna be a pain also....maybe these pics will give you a idea how the deck lid is incorporated on the verts (shameless plug ) 97 WS6 vert BTW my daughter says the spoiler on my vert looks like a baby changing table LOL
              1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
              1 of 463
              LT4 knock module
              D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
              strut tower brace
              SLP fan switch
              160* t/stat
              Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
              DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Sweet pics, dude! Love the one with the top down and the beautiful backdrop.

As far as the high-rise wing is concerned, I'm fairly certain you can't do an easy swap. That's not to say it can't be done at all. Anything can be done.... for a price as we all know.

Being the vert's spoiler is molded into the trunk, you would have to find a way to get a spoiler-delete trunk (not hatch - though rare, they exsist). I haven't seen any spoiler-delete trunks, but they may be out there.

Also - in looking at my high-rise wing, it looks like the leading tips of the spoiler, closest to the passenger compartment, follow the lines of the hatch. I'm not real sure it would look right on a trunk with no glass. Still, anything can be done with time and money. The high-rise wing is one of the reasons I went for a t-top WS6 instead of a vert.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Whichever one you choose, it's a great choice.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                X