6 speed noise(t56)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed noise(t56)

i have a 1995 formula with a t56 6 speed it has 98000 miles and its always been noisy on first gear and second as well and in 5 and 6 gear it makes a weird noise at high rpms. the noise sound like a box of rocks, i was wondering if anyone else has had these probs. before i tear into it what i should look for. does anyone know of a good place i could buy a rebuild kit.

check the fluid, does it look metallic?
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I replaced the fluid and i was fine no metal in it at all. Any one konw about the rebuild kit.

Comment

Originally posted by lt4mula
        i have a 1995 formula with a t56 6 speed it has 98000 miles and its always been noisy on first gear and second as well and in 5 and 6 gear it makes a weird noise at high rpms. the noise sound like a box of rocks, i was wondering if anyone else has had these probs. before i tear into it what i should look for. does anyone know of a good place i could buy a rebuild kit.
        Are you sure it's coming from your tranny? Do you have an aftermarket rear end? I remember I broke my pinion on my old Richman 3:73 gears and it sounded exactly what you described.
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

My T56 makes a growling sound when trying to accelarate at 1100 RPM or less, especially in 2nd or 3rd. Seems to be normal but I dont understand why.
          Seems like it has always done it.
          1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
          Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
          Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

i have a 1995 formula with a t56 6 speed it has 98000 miles and its always been noisy on first gear and second as well and in 5 and 6 gear it makes a weird noise at high rpms.

5 and 6 in high RPMS??? How fast were ya going
            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

From what I've read and heard, the T56 is not a tranny you should rebuild unless you've had a lot of experience. I would take it to a shop or get a new unit.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                From what I've read and heard, the T56 is not a tranny you should rebuild unless you've had a lot of experience. I would take it to a shop or get a new unit.

Yes. The T56 is not one for beginners.....or even intermediates. Ive SEEN them opened up and rebuilt before at my dads shop. This is not one I would mess with unless I had him standing over my shoulder with instructions.
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

t/out bearing maybe. Might just need a new clutch. Mine does the same thing. Grinds like hell when I take off too. Never grinded taking off, but it always had that crunchy sound like a bad bearing. I was told when I took my car in my t/out was bad and I needed a new clutch.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                    5 and 6 in high RPMS??? How fast were ya going
                    The tranny starts making noises in 5th and 6th at about 90 and up, 5th gear at high rpms it starts to make a weird whirring noise and it also makes the noise when i am down shifting from 6th to fifth or any gear at high rpms, but only when its going into gear after that its fine. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                      Are you sure it's coming from your tranny? Do you have an aftermarket rear end? I remember I broke my pinion on my old Richman 3:73 gears and it sounded exactly what you described.
                      i dont believe there is any mods to the drivetrain at all, but im not positive, i am pretty sure its coming from the tranny, i can feel it in the stick as well as hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        t/out bearing maybe. Might just need a new clutch. Mine does the same thing. Grinds like hell when I take off too. Never grinded taking off, but it always had that crunchy sound like a bad bearing. I was told when I took my car in my t/out was bad and I needed a new clutch.
                        ya that could very well be one of the problems i bought a ram clutch just the stock replacement i was referred to buy that from a friend of mine whos is very experienced has anyone had any experience with them.

Comment

i dont believe there is any mods to the drivetrain at all, but im not positive, i am pretty sure its coming from the tranny, i can feel it in the stick as well as hear it.

What you are describing sounds like the vibration from a steel driveshaft. I believe all the LT1 F-bodys came with a steel driveshaft that creates a lot of vibration and noise at around 90-105 mph which is mainly felt throught the shifter like you are describing. GM put out a TSB about it in 1996 and in 1998 cars started coming with the LE1 alluminum driveshaft which eliminates the vibration. The only way to get rid of this problem is to buy either an alluminum or composite driveshaft.
                          1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

I took my 1995 z28 to the dealer in 1996 complaining of driveline vibes over 120 MPH, of course that raised interesting discussion and drama. Of coarse it it was difficult for the dealer to reproduce the problem and I had to twist some arms. The way I saw it should not shake like the wheels were falling off at any speed shy of 150 MPH. I won the fight and they put in a aluminum 1LE driveshaft in under warranty, vibes were eliminated. I very very rarely approach those speeds but when I do I dont notice driveline noises. I have put a new clutch in with TOB and the low RPM noise remains. I have learned to just live with it. A noisy tranny at high RPM's to me sounds like a problem.
                            1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                            Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                            Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

T-56 Rebuild

If you find that you are in need of a rebuild, may I suggest Rockland Standard Gear? Their prices are quite reasonable. They do have a warranty. Service is fast.

I bought a T-56 from them because I wanted to keep the original transmission and rebuild it as a spare. The new transmission was delivered within a few days.

This might be an alternative to going to a local shop (we did) and getting hit with a huge bill and a broken transmission within 30 days - of course, no warranty.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X