Tranny Mount Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Mount Replacement

How difficult is it to replace a tranny mount on an auto transmission?

I think I just lost my second mount on my '96. Theres a low pitch rattle on engine start up and it's in the drive shaft tunnel just to the right of my rear seat rest. Only seam to hear it on startup and sometimes in 1st at a stop. I won't be able to take a good look under there till next week. All I have a jack and a couple stands to get it in the air, but only basic tools.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Pretty easy to do man. Get the front of the car up and on jack stands, support the tail shaft of the tranny with the jack, loosen the tranny mount bolt directly in the middle of the tranny crossmember, Take of the tranny crossmember, them remove the mount from the transmission. Then put it all back together reverse directions.
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

To remove and replace the tranny mount is fairly easy. Unbolt the nut from the tranny mount and the tranny brace. Jack the tranny up and unbolt the two screws from the tranny and the mount. Reverse the process and you're done.

Comment

That's exactly what I was hoping to find under there...Thanks guys!!
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Is there a distinct "clunking" sound when you accelerate fast or stop a bit harder? Does that sound come from under your center console? Your tranny mount holds the tailshaft of your trans in place. When this mount breaks, the tailshaft of your tranny will hit the underside of your car when you accelerate or brake harder. If you're not getting this, it's possible it may be something else.

Just a thought
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Hmmm...I wasn't too clear on where the sound was coming from. It's just to the right of the driver's seat back. I'll find out for sure when I get under there.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

sounds right

ya 95transam is right on it . There was a clunking sounds just like that on my car . Whne i would get on it or stop hard . It would clunk hard under the center console . I check it and it was the tranny mount. It was easy to do . not hard ..

Comment

Working...
              X