Starting problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I went to visit some friends and family where I grew up, about 300 miles away. Fuel pump went out about 50 miles from my destination (hooray), and I had to have my best friend's dad come tow me with his pickup and one of those ramp things, whatever they're called, and he offered to fix it for me (and after doing so told me that the next time my car broke down not to call him and to just drive it off a cliff... I guess he didn't enjoy taking the gas tank off). So anyway, my car was running again after a few days in his driveway. Apparently the fuel filter was clogged and making the pump work really hard and eventually it gave out... I'd like to kill the previous owner of my car for not taking care of it AT ALL (see most of my previous posts for evidence of this fact).

On to my newest problem. The first time I start the car everyday, it doesn't want to cooperate. I have to give it gas (it's fuel injected) and then it sputters to life after a bit of cranking. And I mean sputters! But it never dies, just sounds like it would desperately love to. But every start up after that during the day is perfect. It didn't do this before the fuel pump problem. I'm clueless, and ignorant to begin with... what's up?

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
    1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Nobody??

*Pam*

Comment

You'll get more responses if you supply this information.

What year is your car? What size engine? What type of fuel injection system is it (i.e. Tuned Port, Multi Port) how many miles on it? Have you replaced any injectors in the past? Have you done a tune up lately? Spark Plugs? Wires?
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Sounds like it may be a problem with the check valve in the pump, if the 3rd Gen setup is similar to the 4th Gen pump. You would need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and check the fuel pressure by turning the key on, then turning it off and watching how fast the pressure drops.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

It's an 86, V8, TPI, about 125000 miles. I haven't changed any injectors, don't know if the previous owner did nor not (my guess is not). Had the plugs changed a couple of weeks ago, no wires. Could the injectors be clogged since the fuel filter was apparently a mess for a while?

*Pam*

Comment

Could be the fuel system not holding pressure the first start of the day. That would be the leaky check valve in the pump, faulty fuel pressure regulator, or leaky injectors.

Could be the coolant temp sensor not providing the correct data, making it start too rich or too lean.

Not sure about dirty injectors... I would think they would be a problem all the time, not just on that 1st start of the day. But if they aren't seating tight, and shutting off the fuel flow completely on shutdown, the drips into the intake could make it start hard.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Could be the fuel system not holding pressure the first start of the day. That would be the leaky check valve in the pump, faulty fuel pressure regulator, or leaky injectors.

Could be the coolant temp sensor not providing the correct data, making it start too rich or too lean.
              Would any of the above have other symptoms to look for? Mechanical rather than visual, since I wouldn't know what anything was supposed to look like or where to find anything... and all my help in that area lives 300 miles away. And if you think I can find it, walk me through it please.

*Pam*

Comment

cold start injector maybe
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

My bet is on the damn fuel pump check valve, since the problem started immediately after the pump was changed... will it hurt the car to drive it until I can afford to fix it? I don't have anyone here who is willing to change out the fual pump for free, tho the pump itself is under warranty.

*Pam*

Comment

Carbon Build Up on Throttle Body?

I had a 1985 Camaro with MPFI and when I first got it, would have the same problem. I removed the air intake and discovered the throttle body plate was covered in carbon build up. Purchased some Throttle Body cleaner at the local parts store and sprayed the plate and cleaned off. The car has a fit starting after this cleaning, but will idle itself back to normal when it burns off the remaining cleaner in the throttle body. My current 1988 Camaro had it's TBI covered in carbon as well, and would require me to press the gas so it would stay on during the first start of the day. After cleaning the TBI and dumping a complete fuel system cleaner (STP Silver Bottle) the car now starts on it's own without any problems. You might want to try this first before getting too technical. Good Luck.
                    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
                    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Working...
                    X