Starting problems or something like that

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems or something like that

We'll I did a motor swap . In my 94 z 28 camaro . i swapped my lt1 to a lt4 .. Now . Wiring harness and all was connected right . We'll my starter on the camaro . I went to hook up and go to start it . The wires starting smoking . From the starter , I have a the + battery terminal hooked up right and then 2 small wires to the starter . the black wire rubber on the wires was melting . now when i connected my + battery cable to the + terminal on the battery the car would start with no key in or anything . Now what is the problem . I need to know instead of having to take it to a shop and have them fix it when it can be easy for me to fix. you know . It was not acting up when i had my lt1 in . could it be a ground or anything . what should I look for . Any help please. thanks ...................... speedracer

Is this the starter from the LT1 that you know for sure works? If it cranks as soon as you connect the +bat without turning the key then either the solonoid is shot or the small trigger wire on the starter has somehow been made hot. Disconnect the small wires on the starter and see if it still activates when you hook up the +bat. If it does, it is the solonoid. If not, it is a problem in the wiring to the ignition/start switch. Those small wires at the starter are low amperage for trigger only. There should not have been anough load on them to melt them like you say. Maybe the solonoid is shorted out inside and causing it?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

ight

Okay now the wire is hot . but its not doing the starting thing .. its all good when i hook up the battery but when i try to start it the wires is hot and smokes.. does not turn over
      where would that wire run ? any clue ...

Comment

Working...
      X