exhaust rattle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust rattle

The thing bugging me about the car now is a rattle in the exhaust. Ever sinse I installed the Borla I have a rattle in the cat that wont stop. It almost sounds like the guts are loose, but it was fine before the Borla. I cannot see it rubbing on anything yet when I bang it with my fist I can hear it.

Why was it quiet with the stock exhaust? What is the best solution?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

some junk could have gotten inside the tube and messed up the inside of the cat. I had a similar sound and it was the cat ... changed it out and all is fine.
    97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
    In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

A rattly cat is maybe a loose brick. That's what happenned to me so I smashed it out with a pipe and a hammer. I tried to comply, but it just wasn't in the cards. This was the second Random cat that I had - the first wouldn't pass emissions and the warranty replacement fell apart before a year went by. A real waste of $300 - Thanks for nothing Random - you sell junk.

Comment

You guys *are not* going to believe this. I found the rattle, and it was in the cat all right.

I dropped the y-pipe and cat out of the car so I could closely inspect it for rattles and possibly gut it. In the process I was tapping on it with a rubber mallet. I tapped really hard and the rattle changed pitch and got very bouncy. Once I had the y-pipe completely removed I wiggled it around and out came the following:

Scroll down for the surprise...

You should of seen the look on my face. Needless to say that little sucker sure did make a lot of noise. I've got it all back together now and it drives wonderfully. No more rattles!
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You ain't workin on MY car, son! Spark plugs in the exhaust - sheesh! What's he going to come up with next? - Hey, wait! Is it a Honda plug by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            You ain't workin on MY car, son! Spark plugs in the exhaust - sheesh! What's he going to come up with next? - Hey, wait! Is it a Honda plug by any chance?
            You aint whistling dixie! How in the heck do you figure that got in there?

The only thing I can guess is that maybe when I had the drivers side exhaust manifold off to replace the gasket that I might have broken off one of the plugs and the end fell into the open exhaust pipe.

Or, it could be from that Civic I ate up last week. In that case, it's only indigestion.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

I was just going to say the same thing. LMAO!

Comment

Wouldn't you have noticed a cylinder misfiring though with a snapped plug?
                1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Duh! Actually, it's an old plug, and not one of the ones that the car is running off of, RIGHT TRACE?

Comment

But I thought a plug in your exhaust makes you go faster. That's the Civic boys tell me lol
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Duh! Actually, it's an old plug, and not one of the ones that the car is running off of, RIGHT TRACE?
                      10-4 good buddy. The car runs on a set of stock double platinums. They are only a year old. The only thing I can figure is it fell in the pipe when I had the manifold off. I did do the plugs at the same time I did the manifold gaskets, so that would make sense. That had to be what happened, I just cannot imagine any other sinereo.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Wow, I never expected that You said you started hearing the sound after the Borla install. How long before that did you have the manifold off?
                        I'm very glad it wasn't a problem and easy fix, especially with your bad luck lately
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I have a Borla exhaust also on my 99 TA. It rattles also. Well it seems mainly when im braking i hear it rattle and sometimes when i get on it a little but mainly when i brake. This is weird. Maybe i can find a spark plug too, but this is def annoying

1999 Trans Am A4
                          Suncoast WS6 hood and Ram Air, Borla, UD pully, MAF, Hotchkis SFC's and STB, Eibach Sportlines, 18" Privat Fahrens, and Zaino of course

Comment

I did the exhaust manifold gaskets and spark plugs last year. That piece-o-plug must have fallen into the pipe and slowly worked its way to the cat. I dont drive the car much so it is entirely possible it took it the year to make the journey. Maybe it was wedged in somewhere and installing the Borla knocked it loose so it rattled? I dunno.

If anyone else has a Borla and an exhaust rattle I would definitley say it's got to be a chunk-o-sparkplug in your cat. Just go get it out and the rattle will be gone!
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:

Comment

cat rattle!

Did it just happen while the car was in gear? Mine is doing the same thing! Just installed new SS Dual, and whenever the car is in drive or Reverse and braked it rattles bad! When I give it the gas no rattle, the nose is definatly coming from around the Cat not sure if its inner or outer. Let me know ! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X