Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to big?

Are these to big?

They are real wide, but I'm wondering if a big rim would look right on a 3rd gen. I was planning on like some 18" ones.

edit: just looked at their store, and they do have some 18" ones. Do you think these would look good on a third gen?

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

yes. ricey. wont enhance performance either.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Love that word . . . "ricey"

Hilarious!
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

I prefer 17 inch, 18 max. 20 is just too big. It actually hurts your performance because you are increasing rotating mass/ unsprung weight. If the tire has a larger OD It also hurts your braking performance because you are increasing the radius which is the length of the lever arm acting on the brake system. It's just not a good idea, and as already mentioned it is ricey.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          yes. ricey.
          Just about to say that, lol
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

would 18" ones look ricey? would they hurt performance?

Comment

I would go with 17's
              1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

i am going 18 in the rear and17 up front american racing torqu thrust II

Comment

I agree 17" is about as big as i'd go. 20" wheels on cars, trucks and suv's make'm look like ockwardly designed retarded toys. Have you seen how stupid those escalades, hummers and whatnot all those famous rappers and movie stars have look?

BTW, if you up size your wheels and lower your tire profile to the proper ratio (keep the over all diameter the same) you wont throw off the speedometer, or harm performance and it shouldnt put too much extra strain on the brakes. although less sidewall will always give a harsher ride, but should improve cornering. heres a nifty size calculator
                  http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
                  2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by gimp19
                    BTW, if you up size your wheels and lower your tire profile to the proper ratio (keep the over all diameter the same) you wont throw off the speedometer, or harm performance and it shouldnt put too much extra strain on the brakes. although less sidewall will always give a harsher ride, but should improve cornering. heres a nifty size calculator
                    http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm
                    That is not entirely true. The inertial characteristics of a wheel change as you make the sidewall shorter/rim bigger and maintain overall diameter (OD).

Look at a 15" vs 20" combo with the exact same OD. The 15" rim will weigh several pounds less that the 20" rim. In addition to the rim being lighter, it's inertial moment is closer inward towards the center making it easier to accellerate. Granted the tire for the 15" will likely be heavier that the 20" tire due to the taller sidewall, but at the same time that added sidewall will flex and allow for better strait line accelleration. Also, the 15" combo will be lighter overall because it has less metal in it and more rubber.

That's not to say we should all run 15" wheels. Our brakes dont fit in 15" rims too well and the tall sidewall can hurt cornering performance. It seems a 17" tire is a happy medium, 18" max.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by camaro5256
                      i am going 18 in the rear and17 up front american racing torqu thrust II
                      There a alot of vette rims being sold on ebay, they are 18" in the rear 17" in the front, Z06 ones are being sold as well.. they come with the tires and are right around a grand for all 4. Would this be a good idea?

Comment

I think the 18s would look good.
                        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

IMHO i think 20's would be to big for the car, you would just about have to get rubberbands for tires, but if you have a good dental plan those chipped teeth from the ride wont matter. I Myself, liked the Crager chrome plated 5 spokes at the bottom of the page but that is just me...... But dont let anyone influence you becase no matter what you pick, some will like them and some wont, so get what you like....
                          95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

I run 18" all the way around on my car. Looks good to me but going bigger would be to much. I still have lots of rubber around the outside and they dont look to big for the car. If you are going for performance go with a 17. Mine is kinda a performance looks trade off. They are a heck of alot better than my 16" were.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                            6.2L/382.97 ci
                            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                            WCT-5 speed
                            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                            Boss MS 18" Rims
                            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                            Custom Dual exhaust
                            1LE upgrade
                            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror