This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goat

thinking about test driving an 05 GTO......what are the general thought on this? I am looking to possibly lease.

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
    lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

I have to admit, I loved my 97 CompTA..and with the engine and suspension mods...it whaled...but .......

not like this 05 gto. the 05 goat is an American BMW... the acceleration is deceptive..... you think "im not getting there that fast"......then you look at your speedometer and realize you are doing over a 100 mph.....but there are options to set that let you know when you are "going to fast"...a "top speed and low speed warning:.... it corners and handles superbly, the independent rear suspension is above the solid axle f body........ it does not beat you death on long trips..it's rides very nice, the interior rocks... the stock exhaust rocks... the shifter is marginal...i dont have a problem with it though... (m6)...the stereo is good...some dont like it...i do...... the leather is really nice.... the seats "suck you in" and are very comfortable... the computer options on the dash display are nicely optimized.. the engine component placement is so well layed out you can reach down and touch each plug with your hand... the back seat is nice but tough to get in and out of..which..i dont care..cause nobody will ride back there... the trunk is small..but i dont car..it handles my gym bag and a plenty of room for a road trip for me and my wife's stuff.....

the brakes are awesome. the power and torque of the LS2 with the LS6 cam is to be reconked with..........

do i like my goat?......heck yah.

http://www.renokeo.com/gto.html

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SS
      thinking about test driving an 05 GTO......what are the general thought on this? I am looking to possibly lease.
      I do not like that car at all. Anything about it. Maybe if they gave it a different name it wouldn't be as bad. Don't take a Grand AM and remove some badging, molding, tweak a few things and drop an 8 in it and call it a goat. Bland styling, etc... It's quick, but I'd never think about getting one. Just my 5.7 cents
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
        I do not like that car at all. Anything about it. Maybe if they gave it a different name it wouldn't be as bad. Don't take a Grand AM and remove some badging, molding, tweak a few things and drop an 8 in it and call it a goat. Bland styling, etc... It's quick, but I'd never think about getting one. Just my 5.7 cents
        you are so off base its not funny dude. this car comes from the same platform as the Australian Manaro....... granted, it look's like "pontiac" ..and a "sleeper".... but its far from normal..........the Grand Am does not even compare to the engineering of this car...... not even close........... your post is ignorant dude......no offense....just my 2 centavos.

I think I know cars.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Can't we all just get along?

I'd definitely go look at one! When they first came out, I wan't all that thrilled with the looks at first. But then, I started seeing them on the road, and how well they perform, they grew on me fast! They are suprisingly graceful given the amount of horsepower they have.

What really got me though, was how it sounds when you first start it up! When everyone hears that LS2 rumble, it commands attention and respect.
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

All, I know is...Steve and I looked at one today...I looked right at the plugs. Holy ..., that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Looks like plugs and wires in 10 minutes There's room for everything else too. Man, that's probably the part I most envy!!
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

again, raroz28, im not flamming you. everyone is entittled to thier opinion, what im addressing is comparing the car properly.

granted, it's looks is its biggest downfall to some, it was to me when it first came out, but the 05 with the sports appearance package which includes diff grills, diff spoiler, front and rear bumpers, and side ground effects makes the car look much better and more agressive.

the engineering is deff. there.. its handling is superb.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                you are so off base its not funny dude. this car comes from the same platform as the Australian Manaro....... granted, it look's like "pontiac" ..and a "sleeper".... but its far from normal..........the Grand Am does not even compare to the engineering of this car...... not even close........... your post is ignorant dude......no offense....just my 2 centavos.

I think I know cars.
                Subjective things my friend... I do not like the car, you do. No need to reply to anything I said my man. I may be ignorant, but that car is still useless and bland... In my opinion Do not be offended by what I say wolfman, not everyone is going to love the GTO like you do. Some will love, some will hate.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I sat in a yellow 05 yesterday at the drag races. Very nice....had more room up from than I thought. I would like to take one for a spin.

John
                  97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
                  02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
                  99 Bravada

Comment

From the posts this thread has been getting it seems like this car is either "love it" or "hate it." I personally don't care too much for it. Not saying anything about the person owning one.... just saying when i look at it I don't get "that feeling" like I get with other sports cars. I know it has the power its just that... for me... the looks aren't there. But all power and style aside my biggest problem with the car is the price tag. When I first saw the GTO I thought "hmm... nice daily driven sleeper..." then I saw the window sticker

Although I must say... If i ever had one in my driveway I would want all the packages Wolfie's has.
                    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

For the moeney of a new car nothing can touch it!
                      The LS2 Vette is $44,510 base price
                      '05 LS2 GTO is $33K at least 10K cheaper.
                      Thats your only alternative until the new Camaro comes around.
                      Its the only game in town so far.
                      ...or am I missing something?

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH95Formula
                        For the moeney of a new car nothing can touch it!
                        The LS2 Vette is $44,510 base price
                        '05 LS2 GTO is $33K at least 10K cheaper.
                        Thats your only alternative until the new Camaro comes around.
                        Its the only game in town so far.
                        ...or am I missing something?

Only alternative??? I'd say you are definately missing something!! Apparently you haven't seen the new Cobra... the new Cobra will have 450 hp 450 ft lbs(via a supercharger)... 19 inch alloys with brembo calipers... awesome body lines... will be priced in the mid to high 30's... and won't have a rarity charge added on.

Now I am not a Ford fan whatsoever but this car would be in my driveway before a GTO. You guys gotta admit..... The new Cobra is just plain sick!!!!

http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...cle_id_int/448

Just my 02 cents guys.
                        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                          Only alternative??? I'd say you are definately missing something!! Apparently you haven't seen the new Cobra... the new Cobra will have 450 hp 450 ft lbs(via a supercharger)... 19 inch alloys with brembo calipers... awesome body lines... will be priced in the mid to high 30's... and won't have a rarity charge added on.

Now I am not a Ford fan whatsoever but this car would be in my driveway before a GTO. You guys gotta admit..... The new Cobra is just plain sick!!!!

http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...cle_id_int/448

Just my 02 cents guys.
                          I would buy a Cobra before a GTO as well. Those new mustangs are nice, and look awsome. The GTO just doesnt grab my attention that way. I still have a hard time spotting them on the road because they look so much like any other car. Even with the extra ground fx it is too average. Our f-bodies were always immediately recognizable with the exception of the LT1 nose looking a bit like a Geo. After I saw a few actual Camaros I never mistook one again. I cannot say the same for the GTO. I've seen tons of them and I still find myself looking at every single grand am that passes me thinking it might be a GTO.
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:
                          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I'm kinda neutral on them. I didn't like them when they first came out but they've changed them a bit so I am now kinda neutral. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6. Probably a fairly good, bang for buck.
                            LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I'd go drive the GT500 before the GTO.. The GTO even with the body mods still looks plain. I hate the wheels on the GTO. They could of done so much better. Hopefully by the time I get ready for a new car, GM will get their act together. Just my opinion...
                              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
                              X