I think my A/C blew ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my A/C blew ...

After a short drive, pulled over and I hear a hissing sound fom under the hood, the area around the A/c compressor wet ,oily, and the sound was coming from underneath it, small puddle formed I assume thats the refregerant. I turn it off and let it cool off for 2 hours. Now , no cold air, and the secondary fans are not even kicking in. I assume there is no pressure in the system. Now that I think about it the comressor always did make a weird sound. Any ideas before I head out tomorrow to a mechanic.

Just when you think things are going well and it's always soemthing, especialy now when I have to drive my mother between doctors and hospitals.

Crap.
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

mine blows...

blizzards outta the vents
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      mine blows...

blizzards outta the vents

You're not helping.

1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
        After a short drive, pulled over and I hear a hissing sound fom under the hood, the area around the A/c compressor wet ,oily, and the sound was coming from underneath it, small puddle formed I assume thats the refregerant. I turn it off and let it cool off for 2 hours. Now , no cold air, and the secondary fans are not even kicking in. I assume there is no pressure in the system. Now that I think about it the comressor always did make a weird sound. Any ideas before I head out tomorrow to a mechanic.

Just when you think things are going well and it's always soemthing, especialy now when I have to drive my mother between doctors and hospitals.

Crap.
        Sorry to hear of all your troubles. My compressor from my Lumina did a very similar thing. I took it to my mechanic, and it turned out to be a bad seal in the compressor. He was able to repair it without having to replace the whole thing.

Being you have a 1993 T/A, I assume you have a freon-charged system. I believe '94 was the year GM switched over to R-34 refrigerant. If you haven't already, have them retro-fit the system for R-34. I don't think it costs much to do, and might even be cheaper to go that route being the price of recharging a freon system is so high now. Just a thought.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I think it is the R134 , I think 92 was the last year for the R12. I spoke to my mechanic he said that I might have over charged it and valve released the pressure in the compressor. Well It will be in the shop either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I think i was little too hard on it while the AC was runing.
          1993 TA SOLD

Comment

94 is the first year of R-134A. If you put R-134A in your 93 without a retrofit (dont know how ou could do this), that may be a problem......
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
              94 is the first year of R-134A. If you put R-134A in your 93 without a retrofit (dont know how ou could do this), that may be a problem......
              Definitely is. My '93 Z34 had R12. My friend's '94 Camaro had the R134. Another problem could be the kit used. I know when the change-over was being offered everywhere, there were some questionable quality kits available. Many shops that never deal with A/C were also doing the retro's at the time just to make a few extra bucks.
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Now am uncertain. Under the hood it says 134a on that radiator cover, the manual says to check under the hood. Two years ago I filled it up myself with two cans of 134a worked fine until now.

1993 TA SOLD

Comment

put some dye in there, and one night take a black light to see where the leak is. u can put R-134a into a R12 compressor they dont kno the diff really. only really different thing is the valves used. over the winter i didnt thing my a/c worked becuz i saw grime around where it goes from the accumlator to the a/c lines. but i was wrong.

one a side note, R-134a will start to phase out soon. as they have supposly found a more friendly better dehumified freon.
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

If the compressor was making abnormal sounds previously while it was working, that could indicate that it was on the way out, but not positively. It could have just been low on oil. If the pressure blowby valve was triggered, it could have let out just enough freon to activate the low pressure switch in which will kill the a/c relay and will not allow the compressor to come on and hence the condenser fan.

Try adding a 22oz. can of the R-134a that contains the green flourescent dye, o-ring conditioner, and oil charge. Then like mentioned, in the dark take a black light and you will see if it is leaking from around the a/c clutch or compressor, and/or the retro fittings.

BTW, there are alot of cheap quality retro fittings out there. Alot of them have very poor quality valve core and cheaply made o-rings. Make sure you get a quality retro fitting

Comment

Late update. I would suggest everyone check this on their car. One of the A/c lines rubbed against the compressor underneath, that created a small crack in the line thus the leakage. Had both lines replaced and full r134 recharge, and $300. Not bad i guess. Cold for now.
                      1993 TA SOLD

Comment

glad it worked out for ya. now all i gotta do is wait for my dual fan come in so i can install it and run my a/c sittin in traffic. if i run my a/c in traffic motor gets a lil warm, but when im moving, i get frost on the windows and i got my friend tiffany to put her lil coat thingy on whenit was 98* outside
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                          glad it worked out for ya. now all i gotta do is wait for my dual fan come in so i can install it and run my a/c sittin in traffic. if i run my a/c in traffic motor gets a lil warm, but when im moving, i get frost on the windows and i got my friend tiffany to put her lil coat thingy on whenit was 98* outside
                          I never get that cold, I noticed when i get direct sunlight on the dashboard not as cold as i shade ,consdiering the same temp.
                          1993 TA SOLD

Comment

Working...
                          X