Which Tire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Tire?

Which tire is better for my next purchase looking at these 2 cheap tires Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (Performance Tire), or Falken Ziex ZR-512 (All Season Tire)? Both are 255-50WR-16. Is the section width on the falkens as wide as the kumho's 10.4? Do the falken tires squeel when you spin them since there all season tires?

I currently have the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's on my car now there getting bald. (Getting new one's in November.)
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

I recently put on a set of the falkens... they chirp a bit when you spin them, unless you're trying to get them to make noise. I like them, but I don't know anything about the kumhos.

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
    1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

More opinions needed. Whats section width of falkens? I believe they should last longer cause the treadwear life is higher???
      94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Kumho has thier share of problems when it comes to casing construction and belt package integrity..... I would not purchase those.

Falken if you must go that route....(inexspensive route). section width? if you are buying the same same, that will be the same ....manuf.'s tolerance is only .5" in order to comply with Tire & Rim Association Standards.

Don't even count on treadwear because the UTGQ treadwear grade is higher...thats all a bunch of horse hockey..... means nothing.... i could tell you story after story where we proved it a joke when I ran the Federal Tire Qualification Program for 13 years..... those numbers are no better than the epa fuel economy numbers on a new car window sticker........proly less reliable in fact. dont forget, treadwear and performance tires are not in the same bedroom..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I have Kumhos now, and never had a problem with them. I also have more miles on the car now then whats on the tire treadwear. I think on the tire it says 24000, and I already have 36,000 on these, and there still good for a little longer. I dont care about a performance tire anyways because they don't really do much for faster times anyways unless you have slicks. I want longevity, and ones that will spin good. Dont need traction since I have only 2.73 gears, and a shift kit. I also want good tires for the winter so I'm looking at all seasons just want them to be no narrower then the kumhos thast why I'm talking about the section width because kumhos run wide for 255's preapred to others.

Comment

Working...
          X