newbie comparison question.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie comparison question.........

ok im new but ive loved these cars for a while so please be patient. i was hoping if you guys could conferm some stuff and answer my questions.

what is the fastest stock 4th gen t/a? i know 4th gens are the newest ones but does some one have the exact time frame on this? is it the 2002 ws6 5.7 liter trans am with the ram air package?

same for camaros. what is the fastest stock 4th gen and also the time frame please. isnt it the 2002 ss with basically the same engine as the ws6 t/a?

lastly, which one of those two cars stock is faster? thanks in advance.

p.s.- im not tryin to stir anything up here between the two car lovers. there both f-bodies and there both awesome. i just would liek to know this for the future.

Originally posted by NightRider
    ok im new but ive loved these cars for a while so please be patient. i was hoping if you guys could conferm some stuff and answer my questions.

what is the fastest stock 4th gen t/a? i know 4th gens are the newest ones but does some one have the exact time frame on this? is it the 2002 ws6 5.7 liter trans am with the ram air package?

same for camaros. what is the fastest stock 4th gen and also the time frame please. isnt it the 2002 ss with basically the same engine as the ws6 t/a?

lastly, which one of those two cars stock is faster? thanks in advance.

p.s.- im not tryin to stir anything up here between the two car lovers. there both f-bodies and there both awesome. i just would liek to know this for the future.
    the 2002's...... and it depends on the drivers.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Someone correct me if my knowledge is wrong, but wouldn't it be 2001 and 2002 WS6's? Both these models had more freely flowing manifolds and the LS6 intake manifold. Was it that some of the 2002's had an LS6 block as well?
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I think '01s and '02s were identical. Those 2 years would be fastest. Whether the Camaro or T/A would be faster depends on the driver and the individual car. It seems that Camaro's tend to run a hair faster because they're a little lighter, IIRC. The difference is negligible, though.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

i like the ws6, those huge nostrils, and that front end makes me scared if i was in a honda
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

WS6! 6 cyl. bird on steroids Had a '99 and when I saw them in my view, respectively pulled over to right lane and let 'em pass. Something about those big nostrils...

Have an SS & like (love) her just fine, guess it's preference...

Don't know exactly, but like said already, guess it depends on the driver, etc.

Check this out, for what it's worth;http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...s-50fast.shtml

All fast in my opinion

Comment

WS6! 6 cyl. bird on steroids

I guess I better go count the plugs on my WS6 again ..I coulda sworn there were eight last time I checked LOL
              1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
              1 of 463
              LT4 knock module
              D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
              strut tower brace
              SLP fan switch
              160* t/stat
              Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
              DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

so basically the 2001/2002 ws6 t/a and the ss camaro are about equal in speed with the exception of the driver and the individual car (ie if it has been taken care of)

Comment

The SS 325 hp edition is the same as the WS6, yes. However, the Firehawk and SS 335 hp edition touted slightly more power, which was bumped to 345 at the end of 01 and all of 02, if memory serves correctly. The only way to tell the difference on the SS was the exhaust...325 only had one tip on each side, for 2 total. Yet, the 335/345 editions came with a slightly better exhaust system and a dual/dual tip setup, for 4 tips total. The last 335s were bumped to the 345s via a better airlid. The WS6s had the same exhaust as the SS 325s with the bigger hood. The Firehawk had the same exhaust as the SS 335 and received the same airlids to make it 345 toward the end as well. However, it did not have the big hood like the WS6 but instead had the 2 inlets widened that the TA came with. As for performance, as stated above, its mostly driver, but was also partially motor. Some would run faster than others, so that did play a hand. Hope this helps
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

clarification;

WS6! 6 cyl. bird on steroids

What I meant was, the WS6 is LIKE a 6 cyl. bird that's on steroids. I know the WS6 is an eight; I guess I wasn't clear (enuf) or something got lost in translation.

I had a '99 6 cyl. bird, and the Ram Airs were quite intimidating when seen coming up from behind.

Just meant that they are really beefed up

Hope this clarifies...

Comment

Let me step in here and clarify the whole thing. The fastest model is not going to be easy to pin down. In theory, the last couple of years should be the among the fastest. The reason being roughly 25% of those received the LS6 block as a starting point, some had the LS6 intake too. The block is supposed to free up some additional horses by eliminating internal pumping losses, the intake eliminated the EGR. Those don't seem to be the determining factor as production tolerances have a way of showing odd results. There are going to be individual cars that perform better than the identical car immediatly next to it right off the assembly line. It is better than the past but it still happens. When I bought my 97 WS6 with an LT-1, I could tell that it was stronger than any of the other LT-1s I test drove. It was still bone stock as I bought it new, some cars are dogs other run like the wind. My freakish LT-1 was a 13.89 at 101 car right out of the box when most others were at 14.0 at 99/100 or a tick slower. Generally, a 01 or 02 hardtop 6 speed with few options should be the fastest. That's about as far as anyone can really predict due to variances in production tolerances.

Comment

is it true that the 5.7 liter ws6 engine in the 2002 trans am is basically a vette engine? and how much more hp does the ram air package do for a 2002 trans am? thanks for all the help btw.

Comment

Originally posted by NightRider
                          is it true that the 5.7 liter ws6 engine in the 2002 trans am is basically a vette engine? and how much more hp does the ram air package do for a 2002 trans am? thanks for all the help btw.
                          ram air does'nt even take affect until speeds reach over 90mph... so it was really a good cold air induction system ...

and yes, it was basically the vet engine. the vett folks get pretty upset at knowing the same engine went into another car so gm denies it. the dyno numbers on the 02's were showing rwhp pretty close to the vett.....

just like the dyno numbers of the 05 gto are against the z6 with the LS2....

hee heee

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                          X