Ken your opinion is needed.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken your opinion is needed.......

Ken long time since I posted on here......(remember the Zaino vs Finish First.....LOL). I had a hot cam, TTS headers, etc installed on my car (97 TA WS.6 MN6) last Oct. Barely drive the car, but notice alot of black deposits on my tailpipes (very short distance), also the car uses alot of gas now with this setup, is that normal? It runs like a mother though, put down 335HP at the wheels. I had Jay Fisher do the work, and he did a very neat install, so neat you would never know it was touched. I also get a anti-freeze smell after driving a short while. There are no leaks that I can see anywhere, and it doesn't look low?

Last month I turned to the other side as well as I see you did. Bought a 2005 C6 MN6. Dam this LS2 is deceptive.........Still trying to decide which is faster. The Covette doesn't stop pulling.......The LS1 and LS2 is definitely a very impressive motor indeed, but still love the sound of the LT1 with headers and Corsa. Lots of luck with your GTO, my brother bought a 2004 MN6 last year. Fun car to drive, and I agree much nicer ride than the f-body

I'm not Ken (not as bald yet ) nor am I a genius with cars like some others on here, but to me it sounds like you are running rich.

Do you have any ses lights? Have you checked your a/f ratio?
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Ken is the only guy I know who still kills for his food.
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by ws6ta444
        Ken long time since I posted on here......(remember the Zaino vs Finish First.....LOL). I had a hot cam, TTS headers, etc installed on my car (97 TA WS.6 MN6) last Oct. Barely drive the car, but notice alot of black deposits on my tailpipes (very short distance), also the car uses alot of gas now with this setup, is that normal? It runs like a mother though, put down 335HP at the wheels. I had Jay Fisher do the work, and he did a very neat install, so neat you would never know it was touched. I also get a anti-freeze smell after driving a short while. There are no leaks that I can see anywhere, and it doesn't look low?

Last month I turned to the other side as well as I see you did. Bought a 2005 C6 MN6. Dam this LS2 is deceptive.........Still trying to decide which is faster. The Covette doesn't stop pulling.......The LS1 and LS2 is definitely a very impressive motor indeed, but still love the sound of the LT1 with headers and Corsa. Lots of luck with your GTO, my brother bought a 2004 MN6 last year. Fun car to drive, and I agree much nicer ride than the f-body

small world!!! glad to see you are still "with it"...LOL.... Jay is def. good...and a gr8 guy too...have not seen him in quite a while.... we used to do alot together in the old days...

what gears do you have? the reason i ask is, with my Comp TA, which also had the lt4 hot cam, 1.6RR's and tons of gm hp parts... did the same thing until I went to 4:10's....seems the low end was "loading up" quickly because the lt hot cam doesnt really come on untill arouond 3500 rpms...

with 4:10's, i actually got better gas mileage open road than stock..because i could slide into 6th at 55mph! sometimes 50 on flat ground....

do you have a 52mm tb? or the 48? did jay change the injectors? did you install a fuel pressure regulator and bump up the pressure?

did jay do the programming for the pcm? if so, what program..? Ed Wright did mine... set up was perfect.....

do you have an emissions station near you where you could get them to do a sniffer test on it? like i said...mine got pretty black in there....

antifreeze smell? hmmmmmmmm thats not good..... i have no idea...unless you have a very very small leak....that only lets fluid by the gasket when the motors cold....thats why you would get the smell after short triips....long trips..the expansion with the heat would close the gap...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
          but i always eat what i kill.........nothing gets wasted... the wolfdogs cleans up the leftovers.......................

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Ken, yes it has the 4:10 gears. I also have the stock injectors, no adj. press. regulator. The computer was set by Ed Wright as well. Oh yeah, its also a full hot cam kit with the HD roller timing chain etc. It does pull hard, but 2 problems, it can't hook, and it blackens up my Corsa tips too fast......LOL.......Now I just have to see what car is faster.......LOL...

Those dam GTO's run alot better than the magazines test them. My brother has some bolt-on mods, (stock gear and tires), ran 13.1 @107. So the 05 Mustang guys that like to bash the GTO should think twice before running up against one.........

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
              Then you need to meet uncle Ted. http://www.tednugent.com/ He has not bought meat since 1969. Ken has always reminded me a little of Ted. A little fanatical about what he is passionate about. When it is a positive thing there is nothing wrong with it.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                Then you need to meet uncle Ted. http://www.tednugent.com/ He has not bought meat since 1969. Ken has always reminded me a little of Ted. A little fanatical about what he is passionate about. When it is a positive thing there is nothing wrong with it.
                Ted Nugent rocks. I love when he gets interviewed by a member of the liberal media. He always manages to make them look silly. Gotta love the Nuge.
                SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Yes.....go Ted!!!

He's also the sheriff of his county in Michigan also I believe. Doesn't he have like some 400 hp sheriff SUV with nitrous or something like that?
                  black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by ws6ta444
                    Ken, yes it has the 4:10 gears. I also have the stock injectors, no adj. press. regulator. The computer was set by Ed Wright as well. Oh yeah, its also a full hot cam kit with the HD roller timing chain etc. It does pull hard, but 2 problems, it can't hook, and it blackens up my Corsa tips too fast......LOL.......Now I just have to see what car is faster.......LOL...

Those dam GTO's run alot better than the magazines test them. My brother has some bolt-on mods, (stock gear and tires), ran 13.1 @107. So the 05 Mustang guys that like to bash the GTO should think twice before running up against one.........
                    know a guy with an 05 gto that ran a 12.89 stock in GA, with stock tires, just dropped the pressure down to 25psi..........

well, you had the same exact set up as my CompTA then......i had trouble hooking untill i got some steve spohn LCA's...... they made the car squat and throw the weight down to the rear on launch and shifts....after that....its was AstaLaVistaBaby.......LOL

Comment

thats what I was thinking. Upgrade the suspension a bit. I still have all the original parts to the car (inclding the air filter element, LOL) in case I ever want to convert it to stock (minus the cam). Still debating to sell it or not. Only has 24K on it. Can't keep me out of this LS2, its too much fun to drive.......2 totally different animals, but think the Corvette would take the WS.6.......LOL

How many coats of Zaino on the Goat? You like punishment, huh, another black car........not me, went for silver this time.......

Comment

hey guys i am havin the same kinda issues with my car 96 t/a a4
                        but i used the cc306 cam do you think the 4.10's would cure that ?
                        i have stock 3.23 and was gonna go with 3.73 but 4.10s have crossed my mind too

Comment

minus the coolant smell, but i have the black deposits on my tips and terrible fuel milage and yes she goes like a mother

Comment

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!
                            -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Originally posted by sweenslt1
                              hey guys i am havin the same kinda issues with my car 96 t/a a4
                              but i used the cc306 cam do you think the 4.10's would cure that ?
                              i have stock 3.23 and was gonna go with 3.73 but 4.10s have crossed my mind too
                              go with 3:73's with the a4...not 4:10's

Comment

Working...
                              X