Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help !!!!Getting Ready to change Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pressure Regulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help !!!!Getting Ready to change Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pressure Regulator

Hi Guys!

Today, I just received my 8 Delphi 24lb fuel injectors and AC Delco fuel pressure regulator. I am going to do this job this Saturday.

Can you give me advice, pictures, or just anything you think would be needful for me to do.

I am a little nervous but I believe I can do it okay. I hate taking my car to someone to work on it. I don't trust them.

Thanks Lee!
    Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Removing the fual rail is an easy and quick job. Here are a couple of my tips:

- Relieve 95%+ fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump fuse (or disconnect the power in the harness in the rear) and run the car til it dies. There is a lot less fuel to deal with when you relieve the rest of the pressure at the rail.

- Make sure you have a tool to disconnect the fuel lines. They are available at any big name part store.

- 94s have the cylinder number printed on the injector connector. If you don't have this then you should number them yourself.

I know these are pretty basic. The best thing about doing your own work is that you can take the time to be careful and meticulous. A lot of good mechanics still makes mistakes / take shortcuts due to the need to keep repair volume up.

Have fun!
    Sean
    1994 Z28, 6 spd, LE2 Heads, GM 1.6 RR, .026" head gasket, SLP: CAI-Headers (CARB legal)-ypipe-2 on the left-lightweight flywheel-short throw, Random tech cat, CF dual friction, LT-4 KM.

Comment

I've swapped out injectors WITHOUT using the fuel line disconnect tool. There is enough slack in the fuel lines, particularly if you release the ring clamp at the TB linkage cover, that you can get them completely outside the engine compartment. On the early models, you had to release the metall clip that holds the 2 hard lines to the bracket on the end of the intake manifold. I think the later models had this bracket integrated with the rails.

I personally would not run the engine until the fuel runs dry. Release the pressure at the Schrader valve, remove the fuel cap to make sure there's no residual vapor pressure in the tank. Have a can ready to catch the fuel when you take the first injector out.

It can be difficult to pull the injectors out of the manifold. I found it helped to stand on the drivers side, reach across to the passenger side rail, and pull up hard from that angle. Reverse for the other side. Some people have resorted to prybars. Maybe some WD40 would loosen up the o-rings if they are stuck.

When removing the injectors, make sure that the o-rings on the top and bottom of the injectors come out with the injector. If an o-ring is missing, you need to fish it out of the rail or the manifold.

This is a good time to get some Mothers Incredible Billet Polish and shine the rails like a mirror.... see photo below.

A light coat of thin oil on the o-rings will help them slide in easier.

Same with the FPR... make sure the o-ring comes out with the hard line, and the o-ring is on the FPR when it pulls out of the rail. The screw that holds it to the rail requires a T-27 Torx.

When reinstalling the rails, be very carefull not to over torque the 4 long bolts that hold the rails to the intake. They will snap very easilly.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'm jealous!

Injuneer that intake and fuel rail is absolutely beautiful!

I thank you for the information on how to do the fuel injectors and regulator

Thanks Lee!
        Lee Stroud in West Virginia

Comment

Working...
        X