Corvette Z06 pricing and performance data officially revieled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette Z06 pricing and performance data officially revieled

I don't think this has been posted yet: GM officially released pricing and performance data on the 2006 Z06.

Here's the text of the article:

FOR RELEASE: 2005-06-13
    Chevy announces Corvette Z06 0-60 mph time and base price

Corvette outperforms key competitive supercars at 1/3 the price

DETROIT – The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function.

Corvette Z06 features include:

LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components
    505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm
    470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
    6-speed manual transmission
    7000 rpm redline
    Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle
    Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors
    Dry-sump engine lubrication system
    Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center
    Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler
    Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler
    For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat and Black exterior colors.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 321,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

At least GM has gotten one thing right!! I think this might be the best bang for the buck ever!! Great job GM!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Originally posted by Dave M
    LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components
    505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm
    470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
    6-speed manual transmission
    7000 rpm redline
    Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle
    Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors
    Dry-sump engine lubrication system
    Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center
    Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler
    Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

At least GM has gotten one thing right!! I think this might be the best bang for the buck ever!! Great job GM!
    Yeah man, that thing sounds like a monster!
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

viper eater.........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I agree it's gonna eat vipers for breakfast.
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
          I agree it's gonna eat vipers for breakfast.
          what about lunch and dinner

Comment

0-60 in one gear... So, do you have to shift to just 3rd in the quarter??
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
              0-60 in one gear... So, do you have to shift to just 3rd in the quarter??
              I don't think you really get outta third in a 4th gen f-body.

That car is so bad. Almost 66000 though... Dang.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

If I could afford one, that would be the first thing on my driveway (or in my garage actually) this fall. I remember seeing it at the auto show.....so disgusting. Although $66,000 is a lot, it's about 9 grand cheaper than what was first expected....and look what you get for the money also. You cannot get a better bang for the buck in terms of a supercar. I remember reading back a month ago or so that it ran (on stock tires) an 11.5 @ 128 in the 1/4. Not sure if those are the actual GM numbers....but I wouldn't doubt it can do that. I would do anything to own one.

I think I'm in love...
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

The price is a HUGE bargain.....

Maybe Norm will buy two instead of one....

I understand the "extra" 5HP (505HP vs. previously announced 500HP) came from a change in the procedures or standard for "SAE Net HP". Anyone know the details on that change?
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'm assuming this monster is using "out of date" pushrods?
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                      I don't think you really get outta third in a 4th gen f-body.
                      Yeah you do.

The Corvette Z06 - GM finally gets something right!!
                      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Working...
                      X