a/c question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c question

is it normal for the front air to weaken or stop upon pressing the gas pedal over 50%? i think compressor shutting off upon acceleration would be normal but my car seems to let air come from the bottom of the dashboard upon acceleration and cuts the front air, it seems weird i just dont know if its normal

Not normal.

You probably have a faulty check valve in the line from the vacuum connection on the passenger side of the intake manifold to the heat/AC vacuum reservoir. When you get on the throttle, intake vacuum drops. The check valve (along with the reservoir) holds the vacuum in the heat/AC control lines until the vacuum returns.

Shoebox has the photos and part #'s for this on his website.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

hmm so when i press the gas i shouldnt see any difference in air what so ever just cut off of the compresser gaining back HP correct?

so does the dash board have to come off to check for the probelm?

Comment

You said 50% throttle caused the airflow to move to the bottom of the dash, if I read it right. That's not the same as cutting off the A/C compressor at FULL (100%) throttle, and leaving the air flow where it was.

Describe the problem... does air flow change from the top vents to the floor vents when you apply part throttle? I guess I thought you said one thing, and you meant something else. By "front air" do you mean the air coming out of the dash vents? Do you mean "cold air" coming out of the dash vents? If not, what do you mean.

Guess I just got confused or something and assumed the wrong thing????
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Correct

Air Flow should not change during acceleration. The compressor usually shuts off during immediate throttle or acceleration so that the car can get to where it needs to and then restores the compressor. Air will only get warm during this operation, but not change flow.
          1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
          2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

well Injuneer whenever it needs to push/accelerate so anything over 50-60% throttle, i dont usualy give it 100% for economy reason i try to keep my foot light on the gas, what happens is not only does the compressor stop (thats normal) but the air flow changes as well (not normal)

now im not sure if it is a ac/heater air reservoir problem or what, but always upon aceleration the air flow changes from top vents to bottom ones. it dosnt completly go away from top vent, but becomes 80% from the bottom.

Comment

Working...
            X