Window water spots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window water spots

I have some nasty window spots on all my windows. I used some Zaino glass cleaner on them yesterday and while it did a good job shining up the glass, the spots remain. I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong in applying it? Initially I used a dry towell, then I dampened it so the polish would spread easier. Maybe I just need multiple applications?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

hmm..thats unusual. the local corvette club here buys the heck out of the zaino glass polish because its the only thing that removes the spots and etching on the older vetts glass....... you know you have to put some elbow grease behind it, right?

try the clay bar...sometimes that works too.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Hmmm...I'll try again tonight. I'll put some more pressure on it and use a damp cloth. The windows were hot when I did it last, I think maybe the polish dried too fast. They still look awesome, the spots aren't visible until you get right up next to the window.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
        I have some nasty window spots on all my windows. I used some Zaino glass cleaner on them yesterday and while it did a good job shining up the glass, the spots remain. I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong in applying it? Initially I used a dry towell, then I dampened it so the polish would spread easier. Maybe I just need multiple applications?
        I use the Zaino for mine and it did a good job. I use a wax applicator pad. I did rub it in pretty good. I let it dry and wiped it off with a cotton towel. It took them all off. I would say definitely not to add any water. That would dilute it.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Worse case scenario, just clay bar your window... Should lift right up... Then use the zaino glass cleaner to fill the pores back in.... Should be good to go...
          Michael Gulley

Kansas City Pontiac Motorsports
          http://www.kcpmc.net

Comment

Use Steel wool. It works great. You would think it would scratch the glass but nope. In the 3 years i worked in detail here at the dealership, thats what we used every time glass was really messed up. Works wounders!
            Try it. Im "sure" it will work.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Razor blades work too. Just be carefull not to scratch the glass, make sure it is a new blade.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                Just be carefull not to scratch the glass.
                Its pretty hard to take off water spots with a razor. thats good for like stickers but now spots.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                  Use Steel wool. It works great. You would think it would scratch the glass but nope. In the 3 years i worked in detail here at the dealership, thats what we used every time glass was really messed up. Works wounders!
                  Try it. Im "sure" it will work.
                  Yep....fine steel wool even works great on chrome too!

Comment

Well, steel wool scares me, but I might try it on a very small section. I'll try the Zaino again first. Interesting reading though!
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Im in the same spot with my 92 RS. it's still in paint now and should be ready by friday and the windows will need Zaino and major elbow grease. When I talked to Johnny, my painter, he said that using white vinegar on the glass takes out spots. Take note that I havent tried this so Im not guaranteeing it will work. But I have known Johnny for eons and he would never steer me wrong or anybodyelse. PLus, he's the absolut BEST custom paint and body man I know of. So I wouldnt doubt that it works. The question is how good does it work? If anyonelse has heard of using white vinegar on water spots and etc. on glass BACK ME UP!

1992 RS 25TH Anniversary (with Heritage package) A4 305 TBI (L03), Mobile 1 Synthetic, Flowmaster 80 Series Cat-Back, 17"x 8" Cragar style rims(painted grey)/Hankook Ventus 245/45Z17....350 Coming One Day......

Comment

Vinegar is great for cleaning lots of things, especially glass AND those stubborn stains in coffee pots, which are usually glass.

I never try to clean my car windows, with good results anyway, in the sun. But, I'm sure you new that cleaning glass should be done in the shade.

Anyhow, don't know nearly anything about engines/cars like all of the people here, but vinegar just might be of some help on your window problem.

I'd try Johnny's idea/method 1st, but it's your car.

Comment

Here is a well kept detailing secret...... newspaper. Polish the glass with a wadded up page of newspaper. It won't scratch, the glass will get a fantastic glow to it and the explaination seems to be related to the ink that is used combined with the very mild roughness of the paper itself. I'm telling ya..... try it.

Comment

Thats some old school stuff Joe1320, but it does work, i have done it myself in the past. Thats right up there with the coke on the battery post for corrosion.
                            95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              Here is a well kept detailing secret...... newspaper. Polish the glass with a wadded up page of newspaper. It won't scratch, the glass will get a fantastic glow to it and the explaination seems to be related to the ink that is used combined with the very mild roughness of the paper itself. I'm telling ya..... try it.
                              But it wont take out the Water Spots. On my old car i used to have some serious water spots, so i used wheel acid and steel wool, toke them right out, but u have to be careful b/c to much rubbing and the glass burns. Dont ask me how i know!
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X