No announcement yet.

dex-crap coolant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'ma give Dex-cool one more shot...gonna spend the weekend flushing and cleaning...then a fill. We'll see where this one goes...hopefully it won't go to the crapper.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Temp Gage not Defaulted...

Not sure on the 99 temp gage, but on my 2000 the temp moves slowly from 100* and stays quite a bit from the center point (210*) and runs at 195* and fan kicks on at 210* so not sure about the temp gage just defaulting to the center. Gage shows near exact temperature. Can't go wrong with Pre-Mix unless you want something other than 50/50 mix.
      1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
      2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

I have the same results as Fred. Switched over in '99 and haven't had a problem, or even drained/flushed/changed it since. Maybe I've been lucky too
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I have changed from the Dex to the green stuff and have not had a problem since. I dont know what it is, but some people say they have never experienced an issue with Dex, and others (like myself) hate it. Maybe its climate or something?....or distilled water like Joe says? Every vehicle I have owned that has had Dex sludges up......and I am a fanatic about maintenance. The green works just fine and its cheaper.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

What is the best thing to flush out the sludge. The first time I changed out my coolant in 2005 it was clean. I was getting ready to change it this year 2010, and the radiator cap has sludge. The recovery tank also has some. The service manual says to drain coolant, turn drain plug and open bleed valve on thermostat, remove knock sensors on each side of engine, drain. Re-install sensors, fill radiator with water to filler neck, run engine, let cool, and drain again. Repeat all steps until liquid from knock sensors are colorless. Sounds like a time killer for the engine to cool and repeat the entire process. Now I know why the dealer charges so much. I didn't do this the first time in 2005 which might be why there's sludge since old coolant remained in the engine? It also states to remove and clean recovery tank. Has anyone removed the knock sensors before? Is it hard? Thanks.
            2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

I actually switch my coolant to the Mopar 5 year (i work for dodge so it was free) and I've not had a single problem and also have not changed it in over 5 years (car only has 30k on it)
              1996 Ram Air Trans Am, car #0027, M6, 383 with 440rwhp and able to break a 10 bolt in a single launch!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper383
                I actually switch my coolant to the Mopar 5 year (i work for dodge so it was free) and I've not had a single problem and also have not changed it in over 5 years (car only has 30k on it)
                My Silverado is in the same boat. It just turn 5 years with 36k miles and the coolant still looks like new. However, I will change it out, and the service manual has the same instructions. However, you don't need to remove any sensors, there are two plugs one on each side to remove to drain the engine coolant. I won't make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Changed out the coolant and I was over-reacting. There was very little sludge, and most of it was on the Radiator Cap and Coolant Recovery Tank. Flushed out the entire system 5 times until the liquid was colorless. Closed everything back up and filled it up back with Dex-Cool for another 5 years. The radiator was so clean without any traces of contaminants it looked brand new. Next weekend is my Silverado's turn.

Comment

I'm happy using a light ratio of universal green with water (about 85/15) for a summer mixture, along with some silicate additive such as 'water wetter'. I also run this with a lower than stock fan temp setting. I've been able to get a few extra degrees of timing throughout the range without detonation on just plain old 93 assuming the fuel batch is ok.

ohh yea, It never sludges up on me either
                    Dexcrap gave me problems the few times I have used it in the TA even with a relatively more stock setup in the past, seems fine in the bonneville and grand prix however.
                    -Alex
                    1995 LT1 ECU (GREAT for flashing!)
                    ZO6 wheels (clones)
                    LED exterior and interior lighting
                    With questionable guts:
                    Forged bottom end
                    free flowing 3 1/2" exhaust w/
                    pacesetter longtubes
                    T56 with a 6 puck ceramic copper heavy duty clutch
                    Built T56, 3.5" 4130 driveshaft w/spicer HD's
                    K&N RAM air from 96 ws6
                    96? ws6 hood
                    96? ws6 spoiler
                    full emissions delete
                    polished heads with oversize valve job
                    Edelbrock IAS shocks
                    Full tubular Chassis minus k member
                    Daily Driver and love it that way
                    Motor is not what you'd think.

Comment

I got some stp cooling system flush . anyone used that or someting similar, is it safe to use?

I switched to prestone green a while ago , and its all good, didnt notice any sludge. flushed the system with a garden hose and let the engine run , maybe 7 times before refilling with new coolant though. there was sludge and coolant dirty before canging it, noticed in the other cars too. the green coolant appears to stay clean and not 'break up' like the dex cool. i m no expert though
                      93 t/a A4 3.23s
                      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Working...
                      X