Painted door panels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted door panels

I've just recently finished painting my door panels black. My problem lies within the rubber door arm rest. The paint doesn't seem to want to dry. Any clues as to how to overcome this obsticle? (i.e. drying technics, or type of paint) any ideas are welcome and thanks.

i had the same problem there, i think u gotta leave it. I ended up sanding it off cuz it was coming off from the heat.
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Is it even possible to paint door panels, or any interior panel for that matter and have it stand the test of time? I'm not very confident it can even be done right to make it be as rugged as stock. I'm pretty sure it would look like garbage in a short time. I've seen some pretty bad examples where it is peeling and flaking off.

Why not just buy some black door panels? The for sale section on this forum and camaroz28.com have plenty of interior parts for sale. You could buy the black ones and sell yours for the same price. The project wouldnt cost hardly anything and then it would be OEM instead of painted.

Am I missing something?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Vinyl Paint

I was trying a quick restore on some door panels, and I purchased some vinyl spray paint at O'Reillys. The door panel accepted the paint well and dried without any problems. I do have to agree that it is not tough as the original and any scratch will go through and show the true color underneath. I suggest searching on Ebay for some used ones or Classic Industries for new ones (Expensive). Hope this helps.
        1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
        2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

The problem is that you are using a paint. Paint is a color coating that covers the existing surface. You need a dye that will penetrate the porous surface and the color is absorbed. Big difference..... that way a shallow surface scratch doesn't remove a coating. The correct dyes are not too easy to find, restoration supply houses should have it. Make sure you are purchasing a dye and not a paint.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Actually I did end up using a dye, but not what you expect to see....I used Rid dye, and it worked wonderfully. I'll send pics along soon to show the doors. Again thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
            X