Damn Car alarm... can anyone help??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Car alarm... can anyone help??

My girlfriend has a 2 way paging alarm on her 2000 Camaro Z28. I believe it's an audiovox one. It has remote start and the alarm system. Anyway's, recently when you lock the car, after about 10 seconds when the interior lights dim out, the alarm goes off. It pages the remote and shows the car door flashing. It does this randomly and has been doing this more often then not lately. And what is weird is that after it goes off when you unlock the car and then lock it again, it doesn't go off again. It ONLY does it after the car has been started and you turn it off. Does anyone have ANY clue what is causing this and what I should look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

It's the delayed domelight that is causing the problem, and it's because of installer error. They more than likely caught the door trigger at the light instead of at the door pin, so it's causing the problem only when the dome light is delayed, which is only the one time after you cut the car off. So, you can either take it back and deal with the drama, or just wait about 10-15 seconds after you shut the doors before you arm the alarm. If it were me, I'd take it back, because they should have installed it correctly in the first place.

BTW, installer with 15 years of experience talking here, so you tell those idiots that somebody that's forgotten more than they will ever know told you that. But only do that if they start giving you a bunch of crap, and if you never plan on taking the car back there again
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Hey Bro,

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, the guy that does this stuff is really good actually. The funny thing is, the alarm has been on the car since last December. It hasn't started doing this UNTIL like 3 weeks ago.. and it's sparatic. It will ONLY do it sometimes.. Sometimes if i cut the car off and lock it it doesn't do it and sometimes it does. Do you think it could be something else where it just started doing it and hasn't in the past?

THanks
      Jeff

Comment

Could it be a bad sensor too? This is really weird... it's never done this before until recently...

Comment

Dome Light Delay

Using my 2000 Camaro as a reference, when you lock the doors before closing them and not using the keyless entry to lock them, the dome light turns off right away and arms the car silently (flashes lights no horn). If you step out and use your alarm to lock (not original gm remote) the dome light will stay on for about 10-15 seconds which could be causing your problem. When I arm my vehicle with original keyless entry and the doors were not locked the car arms with an audio and visual confirmation (flashes lights and honks twice). Just lock the car before arming it and all should be fine. Original keyless entry system forces dome light to go out immediately. Your aftermarket just monitors and notices the light is still on and assumes the door is open and goes off. Hope this helped.
          1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
          2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

If it has worked fine in the past and just started messing up now, then something is broken. Regardless, it has to go back to whoever installed it and let them know what is going on. It's almost impossible to say "go here under your dash and look for this wire" because nobody has any clue how it was installed or where the components were placed except for the original installer, and even he may not remember. But I guarantee you he will be able to find it faster than anybody else, because once we see our work, the memories come back and it makes the work a lot faster.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

my audiovox has been giving me some @%# lately too. Jus the past day really, it would jus go off out of nowhere, go for like 5 mins, shot off, and then go right back on for like hours and i couldnt firgure it out, but its gone today thank god (knock of wood).
              -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Working...
              X