Smogging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smogging

How easy is it for you guys to get your LT1's and LS1's to pass smog? I was always under the impression that once you altered the car's performance in some way, whether it's: exhaust, headers, intake, manifold, anything like that...that it would not pass smog anymore. Is this true or not? Any methods you guys use to make sure your car passes smog? Anything you can do to your car that will definitely make it fail the smog test?

I have seen a 75 nova with a 396 and a 671 blower pass emissions.

Generally with a good cat (meow) and a properly tuned engine it will pass. I've seen some cars with big cams pass with flying colors.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      I have seen a 75 nova with a 396 and a 671 blower pass emissions.

Generally with a good cat (meow) and a properly tuned engine it will pass. I've seen some cars with big cams pass with flying colors.
      what he said.

and cat backs do nothing to alter emissions. correct pcm tunning is the key.

my 97 CompTA had lower emission number with internal engine mods than our 97 bolt-ons-only Firehawk...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

There are two issues with emissions - tailpipe emissions, and visual inspection.

I put together a stroker combo that makes 500HP on motor and 800HP with nitrous. It will pass NJ rolling emissions, with the catalytic convertors (dual 3" CarSounds) in place.

Unfortunately, it can't pass the "visual" inspection. In states (or parts thereof) that use strict emissions standards, you have to have CARB-EO certification on every non-standard part that could affect emissions. I actually have the CARB-EO sticker from my original NOS nitrous kit, and have approved headers, but the entire engine has been reworked to the point where there are very few stock parts on it. So... IF they stick the probe in the exhaust pipe, I pass. But if they pop the hood, I fail.

There is also a third variety of inspections, for the OBD-II (1996 and newer) vehicles. As long as the SES light is out, they plug into the PCM, and if it says there are no codes, and most of the "systems" are "ready" (most states allow 1 or 2 "not readies"), you pass, and there is no tailpipe check, or not likely a visual check.

Its hard to beat the system in NJ.... a shop found putting a sticker on a car that didn't pass will net the owner a mandatory 6 months in jail and a $10,000 fine. For people who manage to get a sticker, you have to pretty much agree that if you get stopped, you will claim all the mod's were done AFTER the inspection, and the vehicle owner takes the hit, not the shop. The MVC routinely sends "rigged" cars into the private inspection shops, and if the tech misses anything, the tech and the shop owner end up in a "special" court, where they try and stop them from even having lawyers present.... can you say "Big Brother"?

Making it even worse in NJ, the Motor Vehicle Commission has "mobile" inspection teams that set up on the side of heavilly travelled roads, and pull cars over "at random" (sure! ). They have a mobile dyno for the emissions check, and the people who staff the unit are extremely knowledgable in whatis "stock" and what isn't, and they have all the required reference materials to look it up.

So... I don't drive my car on the street any more, and although I miss is, its no great loss. Traffic is so heavy in NJ (higher population density than India) that there is no room for "performance" driving of any kind.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          Making it even worse in NJ, the Motor Vehicle Commission has "mobile" inspection teams that set up on the side of heavilly travelled roads, and pull cars over "at random" (sure! ). They have a mobile dyno for the emissions check, and the people who staff the unit are extremely knowledgable in whatis "stock" and what isn't, and they have all the required reference materials to look it up.
          Wow....that's pretty strict! I think that's the worst I've ever heard in reguards with emissions and how a state enforces it.

As far as passing emissions goes...I may not have done a lot of things to my car yet, nor have I done internal engine work, but I did pass with flying colors with the mods in my sig.
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Hey Fred, just bring that bird down to Louisiana, you will pass.
            95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

Originally posted by imwlw83
              Hey Fred, just bring that bird down to Louisiana, you will pass.
              Yeh... but the increased temp and humidty would slow me down.....

Gonna get worse. I think its 2008 when NJ goes to the same tailpipe emissions as CA.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

CA does visual, OBDII and sniffer and all parts need carb stickers but the bird passed with flying colors last time
                1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                1 of 463
                LT4 knock module
                D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
                strut tower brace
                SLP fan switch
                160* t/stat
                Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
                DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

I'm lucky to have OBD1 but unlucky to have to pass CA emissions. So far, though, I've passed really well all times with lots of bolt-ons....even with the Smog II dyno test and strict visual. I even had a 110k original EGR and cat (which are now replaced) when I passed.
                  Actually, I've found a state run smog only test station where there's a really cool guy. All he does is look for the EGR and all emissions hook ups, and compliment me on the T/A. So for many places, as long as you maintain the car well, and have the emissions hookups, you should be ok.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

i read somewhere if u fill up on 93 octane, drive it till u need to refill it, fill it back up wit 93(makes sure the whole tank is 93 i guess) then run it down to 1/4 tank, add a gallon of denatured acohol. and drive it around for like 5-10miles. take it in, grab ur pass paper and head over to the closest gas station
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                    X