stall converter on LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stall converter on LT1

I got my wheels (17x9.5 Torq Thrusts, cheap tires for now) on today so now I'm looking at the next step I was thinking about a torque converter, I was wondering if that would be enough to beat say a 98 T/A WS6 Just out of curiosity I have a 94' Formula A4 and run 13.9 on a good day

For a stock cam, I would suggest 2800, but would also add on 3.73s.
    If you racing at the strip, might have enough to beat him out of the hole, but don't know if it's enough to keep ahead of the LS1 by the end of the 1320. In my opinion, if he has a freakishly fast LS1, it might take a bit more to beat him. If not, I'd say you'll get him after those mods.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

thanks man. I'm not sure I want to switch to 3.73s because Im 17 and dont have much gas money. what about a converter and lca's. this other guy has a stock 98 ws6 a4 and he doesnt really know how to drive that well. he's one of those spoiled rich kids. hes wrecked his car 3 times since last september one of which he totaled it and mommy and daddy still get it fixed for him it started out a hard top and when they were fixing it from when he totaled it they paid to get t-tops put in. he doesnt even have to pay for gas his dad got him an account at a gas station and his dad pays it at they end of each month. and that not what really bothers me its just that he a cocky little B&%$@ and thinks hes better than every one. he spit on my car after the first time we raced. I was P.O.ed so I hit him, I was like man arent we supposed to be on the same team here F-Bod Bros ya know. I guess not so now I just want to beat him so he'll get off his high horse.sorry i just needed to vent really really bad

Comment

Just tell him to meet you at the track. If you dont beat him, there will be 50 other cars that will stomp on him.....he wont think its so fast after an afternoon at the racetrack.

Just remember, the advantage of a higher stall is that it puts you in the power band of the motor on your launch.....you wont be able to take advantage of it without sticky tires.....at least nittos or maybe even ET streets....
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

The problem here is that this kid does not appreciate his car and you do. Even if you beat him, he will go to daddy and get some mods done. Since he has the money, you may win once but then it could be downhill. Show him how big a man you are and be proud of your car bro, i wouldn't even mess with that clown if I were you.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

you know man im 17 too, paid for all my mods and my car and then some. let it go. theres creeps like that everywhere bro. there is always goign to be someone with a faster car. hotter bitches, tougher and bigger than you are. there is always something out there that you dont ahve or you wish you did. dont worry about it man jsut be thankful for what you have. have some pride. whats his future look like? hes going no where, people that work for what they have have pride, responsibility, and appreciation. youll be better in the long run.
            1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

thanks for the encouragment guys and redbird its nice to know that theres actually another teenager out there who actually has to work for what hes got. seriously though I never really thought about it like that he probably would go whine to daddy if I beat him. I think I'll just do what I want with the car and have fun. Mabye get a shift kit, Loudmouth, and CAI and just say to Hell with him

Comment

just do whatever makes you happy, but please no rice.
                1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

hey dont have to worry about rice I hate those things

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                    Just tell him to meet you at the track. If you dont beat him, there will be 50 other cars that will stomp on him.....he wont think its so fast after an afternoon at the racetrack.

Just remember, the advantage of a higher stall is that it puts you in the power band of the motor on your launch.....you wont be able to take advantage of it without sticky tires.....at least nittos or maybe even ET streets....
                    That's it. A lot of guys won't even go to the track because, instead of being a big fish in a little pond, they will be a rank ameture among guys who know how to race, and they will spend their day getting their butt stomped and go away disgusted. This is funny for most of the street Civic guys too who mostly put down 16's & 17s. But if racing is what it's about, then that is the ultimate challenge. Not always cheap or convenient, though.

And a converter won't help without some good traction upgrades. A converter & gear REALLY won't help without traction upgrades. The track can be worse than the street for traction, and you might have a frustrating time with wheelspin with street tires if you have too much torque (which is my problem also).

Comment

yeah Im thinkin Im ganna spend the money on a transgo shift kit, slp loudmouth, and a cai (not sure what brand). Good plan or no?

Comment

That's a great start: cold air, cat-back. Good for 20 or so horsepower.
                        Next, I'll suggest the suspension. Lower control arms, lower control arm relocation brackets, panhard rod, torque arm (may not be necessary but nice to have), etc.
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

you think that stuff would get me in the mid 13s. just the exhaust cai and shift kit. I hear that the shift kit is a big improvement. not sure though

Comment

If you can perfect the launch and with good conditions, you might be able to get into mid to high 13s (i.e. 13.7-13.8).

Comment

what about if I ad LCAs and relocation brackets

Comment

Working...
                              X