Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Axle?

Hi all,

Is it possible for the rear axel to get "loose"? I've developed a knock noise that only happens sometimes on certain kinds of bumps or starting up from stopped and it sounds like its coming from under the rear. Its just one knock when it happens, not a continuous knocking So I got down and checked the usual suspects like loose shocks, sway bar, etc and everything is tight. Then I happened to grab the tire and give it a yank or two and I hear pretty much the same noise. The wheel lugs are tight - no vibrations when driving - but i swear it sounded like I could yank the wheel right off the car!

I'm wondering, what about the rear wheel bearings or something in the diff? What would the symptom be if the whl bearings were bad? Is it normal for the wheel to have some play side-to-side?

bruce
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

If the rear wheel bearings were bad, you'd hear a growling sound while the car is moving. I doubt it's your differential. You could have a loose bolt on your shocks, a worn bushing or possibly something loose underneath like the torque arm. Also, check the exhaust mounts. When the rubber gets old, it dries up and lets the exhaust thump around while driving.
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Does the wheel look like it "wobbles" at all from side to side? If so it could be the bearings starting to go bad, but you would hear a very audible grinding type noise. You should go and get it checked out. I had a similar experience with a boat trailer and we ended up having to fix it in the middle of the road ...not fun lol , you should get it looked at just to make sure everything is ok. Hopefully its just something simple...How many miles on the car?
      -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Working...
      X