Quick Zaino Question!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Zaino Question!!!

I am applying my first coat of Z5 today with the ZFX additive. Do I want to put a coat of the Z5 on, let it dry then remove it, then put another coat on, or can I just let it dry and add another coat OVER IT? What do you all suggest?

Jeff

Also, how long does it take for the ZFX to dry?
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

let it dry first. otherwise you just running circle.plus if you let it dry will be alot easier to wipe it off. approx about 5 hours to dry depend on the sun or you can leave it overnight.
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
    SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
    Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

5 HOURS with the ZFX additive mixed in with the Z5??? WWWWWWWWHAT!!! That's like an all day thing for one coat of polish... Ken, Dave.... Whats the deal?
      One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Comment

With ZFX added you shouldnt have to wait more than 30-60 minutes for it to cure. Higher humidity will affect the cure times as well.... If you are in doubt if it is cured, wipe a small section, if it smears then wait. If it comes off clean, then proceed with the rest of the car..... Layer your coats, wiping each one off before adding another. Use z6 in between coats, and moistening your applicator with it when applying z5, z2 will help it spread more even as well. The thinner you apply coats the better. You should almost never see it haze, if you do, then you are using too much, and it will require alot longer cure time.
        Hope this helps...
        Michael Gulley

Kansas City Pontiac Motorsports
        http://www.kcpmc.net

Comment

With ZXF, you will quicken the drying time considerably. As a "rule of thumb", I wait about an hour between coats, testing before removal. Between coats, I use Z6. I apply 3 coats in a 24 hr. period. Having a black car, I apply 2 coats Z5, 1 coat of Z2, and a final wipe down with Z8.

You DO NOT hav to wait 5 hrs.
          '99 SS, #1392 Onyx Black/Neutral leather; M6; T-Tops; SLP Options: Perf. Exhaust; Key Fobs; Plaque

Mods.; SLP L/T's; SLP Y-Pipe; Random Tech High-Flow Cats; SLP Loudmouth; PRO 5.O w/ Lou's Short Stick; MTI Airlid w/ K&N; Hotchkiss STB; OPTIMA Red Top; Chrome ZR1's

Comment

With the ZFX you can do 3 back to back coats. With the ZFX you have zero curing time.

Using the ZFX, generally the point I started applying the polish is dry by the time I've applied it to the entire car. Now that is using about 1/3 or 1/2 oz. per application. If you apply it too thick it will take ALOT longer. If it takes 5 hours to dry, with using ZFX, it is being applied WAY too thick.

Kevin Villier 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", T-Tops, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, BMR STB, chrome-moly panhard rod and LCA's, SLP SFC's, PPC LT's w/ RT hi-flo cats and hi-flo Y, TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads, TR224 cam, ASP pulley, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid, Holley Power-Shot filter, Mallory polished MAF ends, 4.10 gears.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
            KY F-Bodies Unlimited

Comment

5 hrs. no way.

remember, you can apply it in the sun. put a coat on...let it dry and buff it off......dont add another coat without buffing the first coat off first, what you are doing here is "layering" the polish...... takes about 30 min for the coat to set up..and ...if its high humidity...maybe longer...but like i said..do it in the sun, its quicker that way.... to set it up. just check it...if it comes off easy and its "dusty"..then its cured.
              apply z6 very sparinly..then do the next coat after that......then the final.....and z6 again..... it will be fine.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Give us pics of how it looks after its first coat or two of zaino! As others have said, it should be applied so thin you can't even really see it after it's dried. It can not be stressed enough how thin you can apply this stuff. If you're in the sun, it will dry almost instantly. I prefer to do mine in the shade, just seem to have better results that way, but then you can expect 1/2 hr os so to dry if it's warm with low humidity. Good luck, it's pretty fool-proof. The hardest part is just not putting it on too thick.

Let's see pics!
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

http://Bubba.smugmug.com/photos/3213442-S.jpg
                  '99 SS, #1392 Onyx Black/Neutral leather; M6; T-Tops; SLP Options: Perf. Exhaust; Key Fobs; Plaque

Mods.; SLP L/T's; SLP Y-Pipe; Random Tech High-Flow Cats; SLP Loudmouth; PRO 5.O w/ Lou's Short Stick; MTI Airlid w/ K&N; Hotchkiss STB; OPTIMA Red Top; Chrome ZR1's

Comment

Looks Good!
                    Michael Gulley

Kansas City Pontiac Motorsports
                    http://www.kcpmc.net

Comment

Working...
                    X