Need help with lower ball joint assembly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with lower ball joint assembly

I am replacing the lower ball joints in a 1994 Camaro. I got the new one pressed in to the lower control arm, but I ran into an unexpected problem. I can't figure out how to get the rubber boot slipped over the ball joint. The boot feels like it has a metal washer inside the rubber lip - and it doesn't want to slip over the top of the ball joint (see attached picture). Is there a trick to this. I have tried every way I can think of to push the boot on, but don't want to tear it up.

Need help from someone who has done this before and knows what they're doing.

Thanks
    Attached Files

sure its the right boot? try the other ball joints boot and see if that one works
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I just opened up the other new ball joint, and it's the same way. The inside diameter of the boot is about 1/16 inch smaller than the outside diameter of the top of the ball joint - and the boot doesn't want to stretch because there is a metal washer embedded in it. It might slip over if it was pressed on, but I'm not sure how to do that without tearing up the boot.

Comment

Well, I finally got the boot to slip over the ball joint. I found a piece of PVC pipe the right diameter to fit on the lip of the boot. I slipped the PVC pipe over the boot and pounded it on with a hammer. Works ... but it doesn't seem like it should be this tight.

Comment

Working...
        X