Question about Shifters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Shifters?

I'm looking at purchasing a new shifter for me car...

I'm really gun-ho on getting a hurst shifter, but is there any comparable prices/performance wise? Any first hand knowledge?

I've tried looking on the net, but I cant seem to find any for Trans-Am's... I'm getting frustrated

So, if anyone has any links to prices, performace charts, anything that would help... that would be great! Thanks

I'm looking at getting a shifter as well. It's difficult when you don't have options available to try out. From what I've read on other message boards, Pro 5.0 and B&M Ripper are other popular choices. This question has been asked a lot at camaroz28.com and you can check out opinions there. YOu can find them at almost any performance parts vendor that supports F-bodies. tbyrnemotorsports.com and thunderracing.com are 2 good vendors I've used before. I'll proabably end up going with a Pro 5.0 with short stick.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Yea, I was reading that at a couple other places, that the B&M and Pro 5.0 are the top picks.

I also heard that alot of the Hurst shifters rattle? Can anyone shed some light on that?

Thanks for the links to... I'm gonna check'em out.

Comment

Well, I don't know much about rattles, but I found an install page for shifters. Most directions say just to use rtb sealant only. On the page the guy suggested trimming a gasket and using that to help isolate it from rattles. I think the page was on ls1.com or ls1tech.com in their faq section.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Thanks Joe, I'm gonna read into that...

I think I was at Shifters.com ??? And alot of guys their were saying that they had rattles from their Hurst shifters.

On a side note, is there any pictures of the whole shifter together? Most of these just show the stick. I want to know see what the knobs look like and the casings.

Comment

I had both the Hurst and the Pro5.0 on my T56, and I liked the Pro5.0 better. Its not so much a problem with "rattle", its simply that without the big rubber bushing that isolates the stock stick from the shifter, you hear all the gear noise in the tranny. To me it wasn't annoying... just what you'd expect from the trans.... a bit of background noise.

The Pro5.0 and the Hurst would both vibrate the bolts loose, and then the stick would rattle. On the Hurst, I got longer bolts and double-nutted them, on the Pro5.0 I used thread locker and an Allen-head socket on a long ratchet to tighten the allen-head bolts as tight as I possibly could.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              I had both the Hurst and the Pro5.0 on my T56, and I liked the Pro5.0 better. Its not so much a problem with "rattle", its simply that without the big rubber bushing that isolates the stock stick from the shifter, you hear all the gear noise in the tranny. To me it wasn't annoying... just what you'd expect from the trans.... a bit of background noise.

The Pro5.0 and the Hurst would both vibrate the bolts loose, and then the stick would rattle. On the Hurst, I got longer bolts and double-nutted them, on the Pro5.0 I used thread locker and an Allen-head socket on a long ratchet to tighten the allen-head bolts as tight as I possibly could.

That would explain it all... Thanks Injuneer.

So, it sounds like the Pro 5.0 is the shifter of choice... They're all relativly the same in price (around 200$ i think) ...

Comment

Working...
              X