AS&M Headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS&M Headers

I am getting ready to purchase a set of the AS&M clones that RK Sport sells and am wondering if any of you guys that have them have had a problem with plug wires getting burned?

I am really concerned about this because I am a novice and if I lose a wire it will most likely mean enlisting the help of dad/brother/friend to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

I am running the ASM's and I burned a plug wire in 3 days, so I ran then over the valve covers and have had no probs since.
    Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

I've been running the AS&M's for over 4 years, and never had a problem with wires burning, and don't find the plug changes particularly challenging. But I also don't run the wires in the conventional manner. I have 8 LS1 style coils under the radiator support, with the wires running under the headers.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

So, I will be able to run the wires over the valve covers with no problems? There is no problem with the length of the wires?

Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Why run them over the valve covers? Mine run nicely the way they were intended to be routed....
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Because as postted in the above message I am worried about burning the wires. I assume yours have not burned?

13.685@102.11

Comment

I have the MSD 8.5mm SuperConductors. The heavy gray silicone rubber plug boots are "close" but not close enough to "burn"..... Like I said, 4 years and never anything even close to a burned wire.

Passenger side:

In the past, I ran JBA shorties with Taylor "409" (10.4mm) wires, over the covers. I tied the very carefully with nylon ties to keep them in position, then used the Taylor "Fire Sleeves".... woven fiberglass shields on each wire at the plug. But that was an oddball ignition system also (Electromotive SDI/Opti-Eliminator):

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thunder racing sells a kit to convert to over the valve cover wires. It comes with the ends for the opti, wires, and looms. It's like 120.00 or something... You have to run them over the covers and then back down to the opti. Not so bad on the drivers side, the pass side is going to be a little cramped on a stock car with all the accessories. Take your time and make sure that your routing is not going to get a wire caught in the belt, or nicked by a pulley.

You can also get some fire/heat resistant booties that go over the end of the plug wire on the spark plug. They typically are rated at 1200 degrees radiant and 500-600 degrees of contact heat protection. I put these on some of my plugs when I did my ignition conversion. I have 3 wires that are almost touching the header tubes on the edelbrock headers. Not a great header design, but they came on the car. HTH

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  I have the MSD 8.5mm SuperConductors. The heavy gray silicone rubber plug boots are "close" but not close enough to "burn"..... Like I said, 4 years and never anything even close to a burned wire.

Passenger side:

In the past, I ran JBA shorties with Taylor "409" (10.4mm) wires, over the covers. I tied the very carefully with nylon ties to keep them in position, then used the Taylor "Fire Sleeves".... woven fiberglass shields on each wire at the plug. But that was an oddball ignition system also (Electromotive SDI/Opti-Eliminator):

I want to do something like this to my TPI setup, just havent finished my engineering of the hardware yet
                  Hardest part has been mating the opti sensor to a Distributer, and getting proper timing.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                  In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

So, would I be able to get away with some type of shielding over the wires, as in the fiberglass shields you describe? Or is that only designed for the boot location? I am looking for the easiest way to do this.

13.685@102.11

Comment

The "Fire Sleeves" are for any location you want. Not cheap... I think maybe $40 for a set of 8. But they work. Several companies sell them. Its just Taylor that calls them Fire Sleeves.
                      Fred

Comment

Originally posted by jerrysta
                        Because as postted in the above message I am worried about burning the wires. I assume yours have not burned?

No burns. I have used Taylor wires and currently have Accel Xtreme something or others (8mm wire). THey are high heat wire meant for headers.
                        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Rebco Fyrejacket's work great for shielding the wires. They will save your wires if you have any concerns about burning. Also stopped my arcing problem too.

Rebco Performance
                          1995 Firebird Formula
                          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
                          X