Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help!! Mod questions....

Hey all, I'm as new as you can get... and dumb too. lol

Here's the questions I have for any kind soul out there who will take the time to answer

I have a 1997 WS6 TA. Bone stock.

1) Should I buy an SLP 160 deg thermostat, or is it a waste of time.

2) Where can I get a good pully to put in...? (Brand, type & website)

3) Besides modding the exhaust, what else could I do to increase performance on my car without spending a fortune??

4) Any other mod suggestions??

I'm just lookin for stuff to keep me busy! Just got the car, so I'm pumped up & ready to live in the garage.

Thanks!
    1997 Trans Am WS6 Black M6
    370 RWHP / 352 TQ
    CC306 & Comp behives, LT1 Extreme Duty timing set, 1.6 RR's, CSR Elec Water Pump, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, GMMG w/ Ovals, K&N, Air Foil, TB Bypass, !AIR, !EGR, !CAGS, 160 deg thermo, LT4 KM, PCM tuning by Total-ReCal, March Pullies, Pro 5.0, 4.11 gears, LS1 alum DS, BMR strut tower brace, UMI SFC's, LCA's w/relo brackets & panhard

Nice car, I sold my 97 WS6 last year

There are lots of free or inexpensive mods to do to these cars, most of which I forget. Search the forum or others will step in I'm sure. A 160 therostat will help, but keep in mind unless you reprogram the fans to turn on at a lower temp, you'll still heat up when there's not air moving through the radiator (ie: around town). For the freeway it's nice, but if you'll be driving it in the winter in a cold clmate, you might come to regret it when you don't have much heat. There's the throttle body coolant bypass that I remember.

As far as pulleys, I'm not sure it's a worthwhile mod, but any of our sponsors on this forum should carry them and would be happy to hook you up.

For a good list of what mods really make a difference, try http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm and http://www.ws6.com/bangbuck.htm
    He dynoed all mods before and after, so you'll get a realistic perspective of what gains you can expect from the mods, but the site hasn't been updated in years.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

i had a 160* thermo. i hated it, swapped in a 180* tstat. ur gonna need ur computer or a chip installed that pulls it off closed loop sooner and ur fans switched on. u dont need to buy a slp on, just go to ur local parts store and asked for whatever temp thermostat u want.

i like to stay away from pulls as i forget in what way it messes up the charging. if u wanna add hp an dont care bout a/c take it out. and get rid of the smog pump if u have one

CAI is a good mod. it also lets air flow in better then the stock box.

suspension, throttle body, full exhuast(headers-ypipe-cat-catback), gears. that should get u going for now
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Suspension

Shock tower brace, subframe connectors, panhard rod, LCA's (if u want, with relocating brackets also)

Want to go a bit further
        Sway bars, torque arm, k-member, polyurethane bushings, shocks/springs

Motor
        CAI and catback to start

160 thermo is good with a fan reprogramming or manual fan bypass,
        computer tune, throttle body coolant bypass, headers, y-pipe (off road pipe or stay emissions legal and get high flow cats)

want to go a bit further
        internal engine work (cam, heads, intake, etc...)

A couple other things that are food for thought
        a higher stall torque converter (if auto)
        numerically higher rear end gears

I'm sure there's more ideas in my head, but that should be enough to get you on the right track for now
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          i had a 160* thermo. i hated it, swapped in a 180* tstat. ur gonna need ur computer or a chip installed that pulls it off closed loop sooner and ur fans switched on. u dont need to buy a slp on, just go to ur local parts store and asked for whatever temp thermostat u want.
          Bad advice. You have to understand that the LT1 cooling system is significantly different than the one in your 3rd Gen.

You can NOT use any old t'stat from your local parts store... you need one specifically made for the reverse flow cooling in the LT1. Unfortunately, they cost about $18.

You do NOT need to change the "chip"... they haven't used a "chip" since the 93 models. The 94 and newer PCM's must be flash programmed. And, you do NOT have to "pull it off closed loop sooner"... the LT1 PCM already goes into closed loop at a variable temperature between 120-140degF.

if u wanna add hp an dont care bout a/c take it out. and get rid of the smog pump if u have one
          Removing the A/C does not "add HP"... it removes a single rotating mass to reduce a minor parasitic loss, and reduces the vehicle weight by about 50#.

The LT1 "smog pump" (aka AIR) is electrically driven and does not operate at any time other than about 2 minutes at startup. Removing it will accomplish nothing but saving about 7# in weight loss.... no HP gain.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by shadyphi
            1) Should I buy an SLP 160 deg thermostat, or is it a waste of time.

2) Where can I get a good pully to put in...? (Brand, type & website)

3) Besides modding the exhaust, what else could I do to increase performance on my car without spending a fortune??

4) Any other mod suggestions??
            Thanks!
            Yes I would get a 160 thermostat. You don't have to worry about not getting cold in the winter. I live in Michigan and it gets darn cold here and I've been driving it for a few winters. I let it warm up a bit but still get hot air out of the heater. As far as reprogramming. Its not really necessary either if you don't have a lot of city thraffic.

I wouldn't waste my time on pulleys for the LT1. This engine does not have very many accesories and way. Gear driven water pump and electric motor driven AIR pump. and you will only get maybe 5 HP or so. I'd say why bother.

Throttle body bypass, alum., drive shaft are a copule of worthy mods. Just look at my sig. for some fairly inexpensive mods.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd

suspension, """"throttle body""", full exhuast(headers-ypipe-cat-catback), gears. that should get u going for now
              I would not get the TB unless ur planning on doing some serious work. Just get an air foil and u will be okay. TB's are expensive and u dont see any gains until ur into the 400 HP range. (or something like that)
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
              X