wet vac cooling fluid draining?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet vac cooling fluid draining?

i remember in some thread one member of this board mentioning that he drained his cooling fuid with a wet vac.
    i don't know if it was a joke or not, but i'm seriously considering draining my sludging dex cool cooling fluid by means of a small self priming pump.
    i'm already tired of getting a cooling fluid shower and reaching for those impossible to reach drain plugs (knock sensor).
    Anybody in this board think this will work?

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

I was the guy that did it with a wet vac (actually a Bissel carpet cleaner), And I got that tip from a Vette owner. It takes a while to get it out and I'm not sure it got ALL of it out, but I put some water back in there and did it a couple times til it came back clear when I changed from Dex to green and seems a lot easier than the antifreeze shower-puddle method, and a lot cleaner. That plug near the driver's side motor mount is really hard to get to - headers made it harder, and I don't like fooling with the knock sensor, either. And if you get any antifreeze in your oxygen sensor wires near the sensor, it can foul the sensor.

Comment

I'm confused. You could drain the radiator that way, but how would you drain the motor? Why not just open the drain valve on the botom of the radiator? I dont see any way a wet vac would suck the coolant from the engine block. Even if you put the suction directly on a radiator hose it would only get the liquid off the top of the motor, not the bottom?

Enlighten me!
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I drained the radiator in the traditional way - it's a no-brainer. I drained the block by taking out the thermostat and sucking the coolant out of the motor with a wet vac. See the light now, trace?

Comment

Shops have been using power extractors for a long time to vacuum the coolant out from the water neck or wherever the thermo is. It works very well.

http://jcsonlinetoolshed.com/product...bbd05a812e80db

Comment

Working...
          X