What do you guys think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think?

My motor is basically ruined. I've taken it to a few machine shops and nobody will touch it. My main bearings have worn so far into the block all of them have said that honing it and making bearings fit up right would be next to impossible not to mention all of the metal shavings that have gotten into the engine. I found an engine out of a 94 camaro that a junk yard will sell me for 1,100. It includes everything but starter, ac, and the alternator. The engine has 45,000 on it and they include a 1 month 1,000 mile warntey (basically saying they are selling you a running motor). Does this sound like a good deal? I haven't been able to find a short block for that cheap and even if I did I'd still have to buy new head gaskets, intake, ect. The guy told me this is ready to drop in the car and will run reliably, I've dealt with them before and have trust in them plus it is warantied for a little. Am I missing somewhere I could get one cheaper for or does this sound like a good deal?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Originally posted by 94 formula
    I found an engine out of a 94 camaro that a junk yard will sell me for 1,100. It includes everything but starter, ac, and the alternator. The engine has 45,000 on it and they include a 1 month 1,000 mile warntey (basically saying they are selling you a running motor). Does this sound like a good deal?
    That actually sounds like a good deal.

Comment

Sounds like a good deal, bought my first L98 with everything but the starter (inc. a/c, p/s, AIR, etc.) for $1200.00 CAN a few years ago.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

That is a good deal, I would go that route before messing with your old motor.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I think this is the route I'm going to take. It will be much simpler plus more cost efficient than trying to have mine rebuilt and I will have much less down time. I'll probably go put a down payment on it tommorow so they can ship it in and hopefully have my car up and running within a week or two.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
          X