Anyone ever heard of this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever heard of this?

I have a 1990 firebird formula, 5 liter tpi/ 5 speed. My grandfather and I were charging the A/C last night, during the charging of the last 12 oz. of freon, he had me hold the rpm's @ 1800 or so. Fine for a while, but soon enough the 90 degee dead air was too much for the electric fans and the temp began to rise. At about 220 I had seen enough, so we decided to turn his garden hose on, and let the cool water trickle down the radiator. In doing so we accidentaly ran some water inside the passenger side of the engine bay by the headlight.... no big deal, right? Well it worked great, as my water temp. almost immediatly dropped to 170-180. After it was all said and don the A/C worked perfecly, and as I began to head for home, I turned on my lights and noticed that my right signal arrow was staying on. Upon looking into this, I noticed my passenger park lamp and side-marker lamp were not on. I also noticed that when my headlight goes up, the motor to lift the headlight keeps turning for a few seconds, even after the headlight is all the way up! It does the same thing going down. The headlight itself works. My right turn signal is in-operable now... the taillight doesn't even flash. My first inclination is to take the fender off and replace that whole corner wiring harness, I think I can get one. However, if anyone has any ideas, I'm open! Please help! And thank you very much! -Clint.

It looks like you may have a couple of seperate problems. I'd just replace the bulbs thats don't work and it sounds like your heat light motor gear is striping I'd get the aftermarket brass gears for your head light motors. I'd do both if they are stock as they will eventually go out. Just do a search on brass firebird gears.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

As was said, to me it sounds like you just have a burnt out turn signal bulb. Many times, when one is out of them flash. It's the car makers way of letting you know you have a burnt out bulb. If all bulbs are good, check the fuses or relays to that system. getting water in there may have caused a short and blown a fuse.

The headlight problem sounds like a gear issue, as was said.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Well, I will try the bulb thing. However, I do not think the headlight problem is a gear problem, for two reasons: One, the headlight goes up and down exactly sinchronized with the other headlight, if the gear were stripped I don't think the headlight would move as fast as the other. And two, it has never done this before. I think that it is too much of a co-incidence that both problems would show up at the exact same time... after being exposed to water on that side. I definately think the issues are related. I will try the bulb, and see though. Thanks for the input! -Clint

Comment

Originally posted by 121880
          Well, I will try the bulb thing. However, I do not think the headlight problem is a gear problem, for two reasons: One, the headlight goes up and down exactly sinchronized with the other headlight, if the gear were stripped I don't think the headlight would move as fast as the other. And two, it has never done this before. I think that it is too much of a co-incidence that both problems would show up at the exact same time... after being exposed to water on that side. I definately think the issues are related. I will try the bulb, and see though. Thanks for the input! -Clint
          I've had the headlight gear problem before...as have many others. I can guarantee you that a stripped gear doesn't affect the speed of your headlight going up or down. What happens is your headlight motor receives power for about an additional 5 seconds after your headlight goes up or down. With a normal gear, that power doesn't affect it at all after the light is down/up. With a stripped gear, the gear wants to continuously move and isn't meshed perfectly. That in combination with the extra tooth pieces just lying there equals that horrendous noise.

If it's making a grinding noise and is affecting your one light, the culprit is a stripped gear. Think of it this way also...what else could create a noise like that coming from your headlight motor?

As for the lights, it's most likely a bulb as was previously stated.
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I have never said anything about a horrible noise! There is NO abnormal noise, it simply continues to spin even after the headlight has reached it's normal stopping position... be it up or down. Sounds perfectly normal otherwise. Thanks

Comment

I have never said anything about a horrible noise! There is NO abnormal noise, it simply continues to spin even after the headlight has reached it's normal stopping position... be it up or down. Sounds perfectly normal otherwise. Thanks
              Well, then that's exactly what it should do. I know on a 4th gen, it will usually make an awful grinding noise....might be different on a 3rd gen. The point is that the motor is supposed to be receiving power for an additional 5 seconds or so....absolutely normal. The fact that your gear is still spinning means that it's not meshing perfectly....hence a stripped gear.

I honestly cannot think of any other reason why you would be getting any type of noise from your headlight motor other than it being a stripped gear.

Good luck
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I have owned 5 third gens and I dont think you can strip the gears on the headlights. On my 89 formula the headlight motors spin past where the light stops due to the type of lock system they use to keep the hedlight stationary after the motor stops. I would only worry if its an exceptionaly long amount of time. Its not uncomon for the electric motors to run at different speeds, right vs left. I have washed under my hood so many times I cant even count and never wrecked the wire harness with water. I have seen the wires get brittle and break from the harness to the light but the ones thet runn the motor are stationary.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

The thing that worries me is that it is only the passenger side that does it, and just started to do it at the same time as the light problem began. Just as "95transam" stated: for about 5 seconds after the light reaches it's destination. But un-like he said, there is no noise. Thanks.

Comment

The thing that worries me is that it is only the passenger side that does it, and just started to do it at the same time as the light problem began. Just as "95transam" stated: for about 5 seconds after the light reaches it's destination. But un-like he said, there is no noise. Thanks.
                    In 1993 and up the gears go bad and need replaced. The grinding sound we hear is the worm gear drive grinding on the plastic gear that has worn out through use and once the gears gets to low the worm gear drive slips on the surface of the gear making a grinding sound. The worm gear keeps moving and finishes the gear. Now I'm not positive but I believe in the 80s and early 90s the plactic bearings in the headlight motor wear out. That's why you don't hear a grinding. Check fbody thrid thrid gen tampa those guy's deal with that all the time.

Comment

bump for more opinions?

Comment

Working...
                      X