I got a new car everyone...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new car everyone...

Thanks for the help on the poll that I posted a couple days ago, however as someone mentioned, I for got to get insurance quotes!!! $635.00 A MONTH!!!!!! Thats about $8,000 a year for full coverage on a 1999 Trans Am. So needless to say, that is out of the question. I went to the dealer last night and picked up a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. I love this car, but I think that I would have loved the TA more. At least I got rid of the Taurus Wagon and got back to GM and driving excitement(Pontiac).

I will get pics up soon!!!

Thanks agian.

Mark B
    No F-Body right now

It's a shame the NJ has the US's highest auto insurance costs. I'm sure the T/A would have been a lot more fun... but the GP can be tweeked for a few more ponies.....

$8K does sound a little high, even for NJ (State motto: "Your car is our cash cow.")...... do you have a few "points"?

Good luck!!!
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I know what you are saying about insurance . Was looking at a vehicle and they wanted $2200 a year with All the discounts , so I went with a different one where the rates will be 1/2 that for coverage . Over 2 thousand a year give me a break

Comment

Wow, I thought $1,000 a year was high for mine. I'm 31 y/o, married, semi clean record.
        '00 Red T/A M6, ASCD Ram Air hood, WS-6 lower airbox, MTI Clear Lid, SLP Y-Pipe, Loudmouth, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9.5" Borbet Type "M" wheels.
        '05 Blue Yamaha YZF-R6

Comment

NJ is brutal on drivers under 25. That's why all the insurance companies are trying to leave the state. You need to get NJ Manufacturers Insurance to have a realistic insurance rate. Drive the GP for a few years and then step up to an F-body when your rates are better. It's just not worth the wasted money to get an F-body in your situation. Think of all the mods you could do with that money! But don't tell the insurance company about the mods.
          69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
          70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
          2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Yup, it was important to get those quotes; that is why I waited until I was 25 to get my '97. I think you will REALLY like the Grand Prix. I love those cars. Check out some of SLPs after-market parts for those; there are several things you can do to it. Once you have it paid for, you can keep it and move on to an f-body for fun. It is always good to have two cars on your insurance. That has always been my trick since I was in high school...a daily driver and my f-body or Vette. Have fun!!!
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Insurance rates reaallllly do vary. My 18 year old son just got a full time driver quote on my 92 RS that will be his starting next week. Full coverage on teh 92, good student discount, drivers ed, etc. etc. as part of my policy--$96 a month. Ths insurance on my Ragtop which I will now be driving full time went to $129 a month. They both would have been considerably higher where I used to live in Florida. Can't imagine what tehy would have been in NJ.
              2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

my son got slammed on the same thing a few years back..and his was only a 6cyl!! he ended up getting rid of the camaro...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Hm ... I'm paying around €400 on my 98 'vert V6 ... full coverage, 8 months/year, 15 years of clean insurance history (and no points)... I think a V8 would be the same rate ... wonder if I move to the States some time whether I will be able to somehow take the rebate/history with me ... would sure burn me up to start out with rates as high as you list ...
                  Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Comment

insurance

I just got a quote for a 95 z28 no collision and my 89 grand marquis in central louisiana and Im 25. for 2 drivers the other
                    driver is female 22. 1'932.00 a year ! clean record! but guess
                    what? Im still buying it I been to be 25 too long and gave up my 2002 dakota for this. I hope its worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by TandA
                      Wow, I thought $1,000 a year was high for mine. I'm 31 y/o, married, semi clean record.
                      I know what you mean 47 married and ALL discounts and 2K was just too hard to swallow.Allthough it Was a H2

Comment

Working...
                      X