Need help please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help please.

Ok people, I know this should be on the 3rd gen area, but it takes forever to reply, and I need advice fast or my car will get towed. I got an 82 camaro, I was driving home from work just about 2 hours ago, and I can sense the car is gonna stall, so I go off to a residential street, to avoid stalling on a busy road. Well it did stall, luckily, it stalled about 2min walk from my house, it only wants to stall on me, when I'm going real slow, so it stalled going around a stop sign, popped the hood, some smoke coming from the engine, smells like gas, so I'm thinking I flooded it, I check the coolant, and its like a rusty brown color, I just did a coolant flush on the car about a month ago, because the coolant was brown, and its brown again, but I'm thinking it just rust residue, cause it’s a lighter brown from before, and I just notice this now, but its like the brown coolant exploded from some where, like its splattered around my headers and stuff, there might be a leak, but if there is, then its a small leak, cause I still have coolant, brown non the less. Its stalled on a street that has a lot of "No parking signs" and my buddy got a ticked a bit ago for parking there, so could someone please give me pointers on what is up with my car, I'm going to go out there in about an hour to see if I can start her up.

Thanks for your time.

Im not sure about the mechanical stuff to get your car started again but a piece of advice would be to get a white t-shirt or towel and hang it through the window to the outside. That let's people know the car is disabled and not abandoned. You also may want to leave a very visible note on the dash letting people know you stalled and you are coming to get the car. Hope you get it running again man.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

If it cranks back up, drive it directly home. A 2 minute trip with limited coolant will not hurt the motor, as long as it's not stop and go all the way. Then you can troubleshoot it at your house.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

first thing on my mind is overheating...any temp gages? A clogged thermostat will cause overheating and crappy running of the engine even stalling, especially if she's carbed.

are you getting fuel delivery? does she have gas? I know that's a dumb one, but I've heard it before.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Battery?

Ok people, I'm kinda of dumb, I'm starting to think its my battery, but will no juice in the battery cause the car to stall? like since there would be no power supplying the altanator? anyways I'm thinking that cause, I was trying to get her going, so I'm sitting there trying to start her for awhile, and then I give up, try to roll up windows, but they go up very slow, and then just stop ( Prolly drained the battery, trying to start her ), So the battery is not giving me any juice, so you guys think it could be battery, the reason why I didn't think it was the battery is cause the meter said it is like a 1/4 full, but I think its broken now.

I’ll find out tonight if it’s the battery, I’m going to get a boost.

Comment

The battery doesn't "supply" the alternator with power, the alternator supplies the battery with power. If the battery juice is low, and the car stalls, it's either a dead cell in the battery or the alternator is bad and the car has been running on battery-only power for a while. And yes, a dead battery will stall a car.
            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

sounds like ur battery is toasted, also sounds like ur alt took a dump. change the battery and then test the alt out, make sure its puttin out 13-14.5volts are idle
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X