Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I wire an aftermarket fan in place of stocks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wire an aftermarket fan in place of stocks?

I have a 94 Firebird Trans Am with the LT1. When I started the disassembly process to clean/replace my distributor, I discovered the fan shroud was broken. A very large part of the passenger side top corner cracked and broke, taking with it the upper right mounting tab.

Does anyone know if I can wire an aftermarket electric fan (single speed) to the stock wires for power, etc., and not turn the SES light on? If not, which wires should I hook up to just to have a fan running to cool the engine even with a SES light?

I have a Permacool fan left over from another project, sitting on a shelf in the garage, and it would be a lot easier to use that instead of trying to find a replacement shroud. Thanks for any help This 'bird is nothing but trouble and I really need to get it running again.

Binksman

You could, but a lot of hotrod builders get stock fans because they flow more air than most of the aftermarket ones.

Comment

The stock fans are good ones, but if you want to use another fan, just connect it in place of the original one(s) and it will work just like they did.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
      X