NFB: beware Wells Fargo banking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: beware Wells Fargo banking

Sorry for the following vent, but enough is enough with wells fargo, one of the most unprofessional and useless banks.
    I deposited my paycheck on Thursday morning. Their policy is, if deposited in the morning, the funds will be posted to your account that day. Well, the funds showed up in the "Ending balance" but not "available balance" initially. OK, fine I figure...no big rush in getting the money. Well, on Tuesday night, 10 pm, the funds finally showed up in my "available balance."

Their definition of available balance is: "The available balance includes pending credit and debit transactions not officially posted to your account. The available balance is the figure to rely on when determining the amount of funds available in your account. Pending items included in your available balance that are not reflected in your ending balance will post to your account at the close of the next business day."

So I figure the check is has finally cleared after 4 days (for some reason?), so it's good. And it's in MY available balance now, not just an "ending balance". I paid several bills that night and still had a substantial amount (but less than the paycheck). The next day, I checked my account to see I now have negative money, and have been charged fees. My account history (1 day later) says that, on Tuesday, the check was returned!?!?! So the check was posted to my available balance after the check was returned?! And, after 4 business days, my check had been on "hold" until they released it for a few hours...and as soon as I spend it, then took it back! I called up Wells Fargo so-called customer service only to get a very rude lady who insisted it was my problem, not theirs. I had to explain to her 15 times what was happening. She finally got it and said "oooooh, wow I don't know why that happened. That's weird." But right after, she said "But it's not our fault, you and the check writer are responsible."
    Well, guess what I got in the mail...an official letter saying that they put my check on hold until the 27th. It says they're required to let me know when it's on hold, promptly. If I received the letter after I made some payments, I'm not responsible for any penalties. The nasty lady never even mentioned this...which goes to show they try to rip you off and take your money.
    So I guess my next step is to talk to my company to find out what happened. Then, lay onto the Wells Fargo %@#&s. It's not really the fees that I care about...it's the fact that they want to take no responsibility and act like a bully because they have your money. I also have a brother who works there, so I'll see what he can do if I can't get any action.
    Sorry for the vent...
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

How'd it go after we got off the phone?
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

damn, I hate big companies bullying customers. They "bully you and say what are you going to do, so you get mad and take your buisness elsewhere, but after they played with you and costing you money, time, and frustration.

It seems that something went wrong, and it is their policy to say it is your fault, to avoid any liability, and treat you like it was your entire fault.

It is a tactic used time and time again, successfully I might add, to get rid of potential future problems and ensure they only have people that will not complain or do anything if they get screwed. That way they always look like an up-standing decent company. This is a battle you cannot win.

The only thingy you can really do is 1) take you money elsewhere 2) write a formal letter stating your problem to the CEO of the bank, don't waiste you time with middle-men 3) File a complaint with the Better Buisness Burea (BBB) CC the bank and maybe contact the proper federal department that regulates banks and see what you can do.

In short you cannot easily hurt them for screwing over. Your going to have to go out of your way, a lot, even before the bank begins to flinch

Been burned by several companies in the past myself, I usually file a complaint with the BBB.
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

Fleet Banl was the same way in my area. They waited the full amount of time to process any and every check. I switched to a small bank and don't deal with any of that anymore.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I just have to words to say to anyone still living in the dark ages of banks: Credit Union!

Being a non-profit, federally-insured "bank", they give far-better rates, have few or no fees, and because you're a "member", not a "customer", they're all about you. Almsot everyone is eligible to sign up for a cresit union somewhere. Whether it be through work, or a local one that caters to residents/workers ofr a particular community.

JOIN A CREDIT UNION!!!!!
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            I just have to words to say to anyone still living in the dark ages of banks: Credit Union!

Being a non-profit, federally-insured "bank", they give far-better rates, have few or no fees, and because you're a "member", not a "customer", they're all about you. Almsot everyone is eligible to sign up for a cresit union somewhere. Whether it be through work, or a local one that caters to residents/workers ofr a particular community.

JOIN A CREDIT UNION!!!!!
            I'm gona have too second this! I have delt with many banks due to student loans. I hated them all, and non compared to the Credit Union in my home town. I still bank there.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
              I'm gona have too second this! I have delt with many banks due to student loans. I hated them all, and non compared to the Credit Union in my home town. I still bank there.

My mom works for the state, so she has their credit union. Any family member can also join, so that's how I'm a member. For-profit banks are only about one thing: profits and their shareholders (okay, 2 things). By federal law, credit unions don't make a profit, and they have no shareholders. that permits them to focus all their attention on the member. i would never go back to a bank, and my wife works at one!!
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Dont go to US Bank either, I have been fighting them on this policy since the first of the year... But they go one step forward last week that has sent me to join the credit union at my railroad... A company pre-auths my card, but never bills it, meaning they let the 3 day wait time expire and never withdraw the funds from the account... Well, my bank charged me overdraft fees even though the money never left the account, and a sale was never transacted.... Crooks! How easily they forget, it is my money in their bank. But not anymore, I closed the account and headed for my credit union...!
                Michael Gulley

Kansas City Pontiac Motorsports
                http://www.kcpmc.net

Comment

I've been with Bank of America for nine years! I've had no problems at all, free checking, free online banking, free online bill paying, money that I deposit is "available" by the time I drive home, log in and check my balance online - it's amazing. Aren't there a couple of them in Newark?
                  Darrin C
                  '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                  07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Yea, there are plenty of different banks around here. I had my choice, but thought since my brother works at Wells, he could help me out in certain situations. However, this was out of his control, according to him. My dad does have access to Star One Credit Union because of the company he works for. They are accessible through Patelco Credit Union (close and local but not as good rates). I would have given that a shot, but, as I found out today, I've got bigger problems. Due to poor planning, financing, and management, the company I work for is in trouble. I'm 99% sure next week will be my last. I've seen better days
                    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I'm really going to have to take the company's side here, sorry... I deal with irate customers all day long and 90% of the time, it's their own fault.

I'm not accusing you of anything here, I'm just taking a stand against the customer, because I would get fired if I did it at work, and it just feels really damn good.

So screw you, customer.
                      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Don't even start that...I NEVER complain, even if the company was at fault most of the time. I'm the person you could beat with a stick and take it until I bleed...then I get mad.
                        Considering they never had an explanation why their database cleared a check AFTER it bounced showed it's their problem. And...I have a letter from them saying that I'm not liable for any charges because the customer must be notified ASAP when a check is on hold. Now they're dodging the question everytime I ask about that policy.

So the point of this thread was to warn Wells Fargo customers that their database system is so screwed up, that you cannot rely on any available balance figures to calculate your money. It is not correct 100% of the time. And to have anything under 100% in this situation is unacceptable. I am a software engineer for a medical company. We do not have these kinds of mistakes in our software. A patient's health is at stake, life or death. Just because their company deals with money doesn't mean they could have bugs...and if they do, they take no responsibility and cover it up.

I apologize if your not directing the response to my original post...it sounds like it though because you stated "I'm really going to have to take the company's side here, sorry"

Comment

Forgot to mention about a "bug" in their ATM software. They used to allow deposit and cashback transactions as 1 transaction in the ATM. Well, considering I had 2 problems with this...1 time I never got my money...and the other, it never validated the cash back part of the transaction. I did get my money back after a 2 week long investigation and constantly calling them. However, their new software doesn't allow this deposit/cashback transaction as 1 transaction anymore. Maybe due to too a major glitch in their software??

Comment

Working...
                          X