Massive turbo acceleration....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive turbo acceleration....

I drove a co-workers 2500 pound Mazda Miata 1.7L today, it has 15 LBS. of bolt on turbo boost and neck snapping power
    I had never driven a turbo four banger before but I was big time impressed.
    The power was mild until about 3.5K RPM, then the turbo kicked with massive scary power to 7K. It would pin you to the seat like nothing I have ever driven. It will most certainly embarass my 3500 pound Z28 at the strip, although I might get him off the line and through first gear but thats about all.
    Now I understand my LT1 has a flatter and much wider torque curve but I can only imagine what an LT1 turbo would do. I have seen the STS remote mounted turbo but OMG thats a lot of money. I really wish I could see and here this setup on someones near stock car.
    Oh well, im still a die hard f-body fan and im not getting a turbo four banger, but damn that was a fun ride.
    Maybe one day I will spend some money on upgrades, im just leary of taking the motor apart to do it.
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Eventually, when the miles add up, you'll hit a point where you'll need a motor rebuild. That's when you can yank it out and build it up for your mods like supercharger or turbo. That's what I plan on doing - and with about 130,000 miles on the ticker, it's gonna be in the near future!
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

The whole reason it felt so good is the low curb weight. Cut 700 lbs off the average f-body and you would be suprised at how different the car feels.

Comment

I do agree with the weight thing, even when I have a passenger I can feel power loss althought slight. He also had his car on a diet.
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

It's all about power to weight ratio. A lighter car allows better performance in all areas of the spectrum.

I have lots of buddies here in KC with cars that are putting down much higher RWHP than my cars and I can still pull them pretty hard. It's mostly because of P/W ratio.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I feel funny replying.. its been so long..

Norman is 100% right... and don't forget ole' gear ratios... that can play huge havic with one's brain. two side by side Z28s from the factors with no difference other than a gear change can make an "appearing" difference. Both cars will dyno the same number, but one car will smoke the other in a race... put the cars side by side... eventually they will be next to each other

Comment

Can someone go into great detail the differences one can expect by going from 3.42 to 4.10 with the six speed. I have thought about but I have heard conflicting opinions. It would seem to me the engine would rev up faster in all gears.
              Right now my car redlines 1st at about 45 MPH, what would the 4.10 redline at?
              What could one expect in respect to 0-60 and quarter mile. I have really good tires so traction should not be too bad.
              Thanks
              All

Comment

Originally posted by jrm2002ss
                I feel funny replying.. its been so long..

Norman is 100% right... and don't forget ole' gear ratios... that can play huge havic with one's brain. two side by side Z28s from the factors with no difference other than a gear change can make an "appearing" difference. Both cars will dyno the same number, but one car will smoke the other in a race... put the cars side by side... eventually they will be next to each other

Check out the newbie, he only has 46 posts. LOL
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Well, 2 of the same cars but with different gear ratios will dyno differently(chassis dyno). Same thing as dyno'ing in 2nd gear vs. 3rd gear.
                  Richard Harvey Jr.
                  '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                    Check out the newbie, he only has 46 posts. LOL
                    That's what I was thinking. The admin only has 46 posts. But we love ya anyway!
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

before we switched to vbulletin.. i had tons of posts... so...

Comment

Originally posted by jrm2002ss
                        before we switched to vbulletin.. i had tons of posts... so...
                        yes you did
                        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                        pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
                          Can someone go into great detail the differences one can expect by going from 3.42 to 4.10 with the six speed. I have thought about but I have heard conflicting opinions. It would seem to me the engine would rev up faster in all gears.
                          What could one expect in respect to 0-60 and quarter mile. I have really good tires so traction should not be too bad.
                          Thanks
                          All
                          I wouldn't go to a 4.10 with a stock h/c setup, especially not on an LT1.

You're exactly right about it reving up faster in each gear... Think about it... first gear accelerates harder than second, second harder than third, etc... right?

Going to a 4.10 makes each gear lower, or faster... but by the time you are shifting in to 4th, you're going to start losing that advantage, because other guys are still going to be in lower gears. 4.10s are great for lower speeds, but will leave you dead if you have a stock heads/cam setup once you get to higher speeds...

If you want to really take advantage of a 4.10 rear, then do some valvetrain mods to get the car reving to 6500... that way your shift points stay at the same (or higher) mph, and you still get the advantage of the faster acceleration through the gears.
                          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
                            Thanks
                            All
                            The gear ratio is also a "torque multiplier". A set of 4.10's will put 20% more torque to the rear wheels, which means the wheels will be able to apply 20% more force to drive the car forward. Since F=ma, increasing the force increases the acceleration proportionally. You will fell 20% more G's off the line.

As you note, you will run out of gear faster, approaching redline in that gear 20% sooner. You will have to shift 20% sooner.... and if you don't shift efficiently, you may be losing on the shifts what you gained on torque multiplication. And, if for example your car was capable of 115MPH in the 1/4-mile, going to 4.10's would force you to shift into 5th gear (O/D) at the end of the track and slow you down a bit.

Some shift points, assuming 5,800rpm:

GEAR - 3.42 - 4.10
                            1 - - - 48 - - - 40
                            2 - - - 73 - - - 60
                            3 - - - 100 - - 83
                            4 - - - 129 - - 108
                            5 - - ~155* - - 147 **

* = aero drag limited
                            ** = RPM limited

As far as a "rush" when the accel pedal hits the floor.... how many of you have driven a 1,000+ HP F-Body? How many of you have sat in the pasenger seat of a 1,325HP F-Body? I have (97 30th SS convertible, 383 w/ 20+# boost), and its the most unbelievable thing I have ever felt.... it pins you in the seat, and get the adrenaline flowing like nothing else I have ever experienced. Put that car up against the Mazda, and unless the Mazda can run 8.6@160mph, it hasn't got a chance.....
                            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                              ...As far as a "rush" when the accel pedal hits the floor.... how many of you have driven a 1,000+ HP F-Body? How many of you have sat in the pasenger seat of a 1,325HP F-Body? I have (97 30th SS convertible, 383 w/ 20+# boost), and its the most unbelievable thing I have ever felt.... it pins you in the seat, and get the adrenaline flowing like nothing else I have ever experienced.....
                              I've pulled 4.5 Gs in a Pitts S2B. That was the most unbelievable thing I have ever felt. http://home.nwn.de/stampe/pitts.jpg
                              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X