Grills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grills?

Is there any aftermarket grills for a 97 TA WS6... Mine are just plain black, and I was thinking of painting them silver, or is there any aftermarket chromed grills? Or is it easier/more cost efficient to just paint them? Any idea's?

Maybe you can find a place that chrome plates plastic. It is becoming a lot more common these days, and most of it looks pretty good. They just paint it with a metallic paint, then chrome it.

Comment

i painted our with a chromium spray paint... they looked just fine. did the CompTA and the Hawk....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
        i painted our with a chromium spray paint... they looked just fine.
        Totally agree

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Damn wolf, car looks awesome, same w/ you Taso... Chrome paint it is, cant be that expensive right? Also, how do you take the grills off? The way the little latch's are on, I'm afraid I'm might snap it... any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
            how do you take the grills off? I'm afraid I'm might snap it... any suggestions?
            Pop your hood and look behind the grills. There should be hooks that hook onto your hood. Using your fingers, press against the hooks and push the grills outward. They come off very easily you don't have to worry about breaking them. Also, allow 24 hours drying time. Don't paint them and just stick them back on right away.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
              Pop your hood and look behind the grills. There should be hooks that hook onto your hood. Using your fingers, press against the hooks and push the grills outward. They come off very easily you don't have to worry about breaking them. Also, allow 24 hours drying time. Don't paint them and just stick them back on right away.

Ahh, thanks... I looked briefly behind the hood, and I believe there was a 'foam-pad' cover the grill itself. So, looking from the outside I saw the hooks, but was afraid to attempt on pulling them from that side. Again, I didnt look at it very long, just glanced for a second

Comment

The grills on your hoods was plastic guys??? Mine is actually metal and painted black. Hmmm... I wonder why they would be different
                1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

You can't actually see them from insdie the hood unless you cut the baffles out. Mine are plastic, and have the little squared off clips, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I got a "pick" with a hook on the end and used it to pull the edge right next to the clip.

I prefer black though.... don't like the silver or other colors.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    Yup, I'm right with you on that.

Comment

You can't actually see them from insdie the hood unless you cut the baffles out. Mine are plastic, and have the little squared off clips, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I got a "pick" with a hook on the end and used it to pull the edge right next to the clip.

Yea, thats what I thought... I'm going to have to try that method, I think.

Comment

They seem fairly rugged, and although they feel like plastic they will bend and take a "set" like metal. One of the little fingers on one of my grills has caused a bump in the edge of the grill. I'm tempted to take them off and leave them off, unless its for a "show".

A buddy of mine with a white TA removed the grills, filed the openings larger, and smoothed the entire inside of the openings so it was just an extension of the surface at the bottom of the nostrils. Should provide a much better air flow than the irregular shape of the stock passage from the openings to the filter.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

They seem fairly rugged, and although they feel like plastic they will bend and take a "set" like metal. One of the little fingers on one of my grills has caused a bump in the edge of the grill. I'm tempted to take them off and leave them off, unless its for a "show".

A buddy of mine with a white TA removed the grills, filed the openings larger, and smoothed the entire inside of the openings so it was just an extension of the surface at the bottom of the nostrils. Should provide a much better air flow than the irregular shape of the stock passage from the openings to the filter.

Show... yea, pretty much. How did the nostrils look shaved? And wouldnt too much bugs/debree from the road come through the openings?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed
                            Show... yea, pretty much. How did the nostrils look shaved? And wouldnt too much bugs/debree from the road come through the openings?
                            Do the roads in the US have alot more crap on them? I can honestly say in the last two years I havent even got a rock chip on the front of my formula here in Canada. I wouldnt think even the odds of getting something in the openings that great with all the surface area of the front of your car vs the area of the holes. Bugs on the other hand are another story all together.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                            6.2L/382.97 ci
                            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                            WCT-5 speed
                            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                            Boss MS 18" Rims
                            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                            Custom Dual exhaust
                            1LE upgrade
                            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

The openings look great with the surfaces extended smoothly all the way inside the openings. I can't remember if my buddy had a problem, but another guy with the UltraZ hood from SLP cut all the baffles out, and he had a ton of leaves and dead bugs on the filter most of the time.

I would not recommend cutting the baffles out completely for a street driven car. On mine, the air filter was getting water on it just from towing the car in the rain. I bought a big foam Moroso bug-catcher plug and stuffed that in from behind the openings when I tow.

My scoop actually looks better than the picture, but the flach made the flat black paint on the inside of the hood look like its white....

Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X