Window Motor? The Saga Continues!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Motor? The Saga Continues!

I've been reading the threads about the window motors, as I believe the ones I have are on their way out. Here are the symptoms:

Driver's side doesn't go up or down but makes a loud CLUNK when I hit the switch!

Passenger side goes up and down, but sometimes will take a few hits of the switch to get it all the way up if I stop it before it hits the top.

Does this sound like the motors are something else? The drivers side has been acting weird for about a month. It used to go at least halfway down, but now just a *CLUNK*.

Kinda sucks when you have T-tops but the windows won't cooperate!

Robert
    1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

The drivers side clunk may be because the motor already has been replaced (rivets replaced with screws and nuts) so now one or more screws have loosened causing the gear to skip.

Passenger side window is slowing down and will eventually stop...typical motor problem.

Open the doors up and replace the motor assemblies, get lifetime warranty ones from Autozone, around $60 each.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Thanks! Looks like I have a project to occupy my weekend when the weather cools down just a bit!

Robert
      1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

Comment

Ok, guys, what am I missing here?

I was looking at Autozone to get the motors, and thought that perhaps the "clunk" might be a regulator going south -- but Autozone reports that there is NO REGULATOR in my car?

Huh?

Rob

Comment

I am not positive but the regulator may be built into th motor assembly.

What I do know for sure is that your passenger side window motor is dying. I have replaced 4-5 of these (my own & other peoples), and the motor is all one unit, and that is the only thing you will need to replace.

Also, my TA makes a "clunk" sound when I put it up, I think it is just the track or the gears hitting when it starts to go up - But your "clunk" sounds different then that!

Randy
          99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
          93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

You could of broken the window channel assembly
            and its all tanked up inside. Your going to have
            to pull the door panel to see what is going on, thats
            the only way dude.

Comment

I also vote for teh CLUNK being loose screws holding teh motor to teh door. Had that problem with my 92RS, and tightening the screws solved that problem. Other window is the motor needs replacing - no doubt.
              2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

The regulator is what looks like large clock spring, if this was ever broken (from a crash) it would be a GM replacement part, or from a salvage yard. It does need to be reinstalled inorder for the window to operate properly.

while you are in the door, clean all the tracks and relube with a silicone grease.
                The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Working...
                X