• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfb: Michelin at Indy

Today's Headlines
    Michelin: U.S. GP tires were ‘insufficiently suited’ for the course
    Tire Business staff report©

CLERMONT-FERRAND, France (June 27, 2005) — The racing tires that Group Michelin supplied Formula 1 teams at the recent U.S. Grand Prix in Indianapolis were “insufficiently suited” for the high-speed banked curve at that track but were not “intrinsically flawed.”

Michelin came to this conclusion after investigating the remaining tires at its laboratories in France.

The seven F1 teams that Michelin supplies withdrew from the June 19 race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) after Michelin advised them the tires likely would not last the race. Two drivers suffered tire failures during qualifying and practice.

Michelin said its investigations revealed that the loads exerted on the rear left tire through Turn 13 at IMS were “far superior” to the highest estimations of Michelin´s engineers. This year, the situation through this corner turned out to be altered by the extreme combination of the speed, lateral acceleration and additional dynamic load.

On the other hand, Michelin said its investigations into materials and construction confirmed the absence of any anomaly.

The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile, the organizing body for F1 racing, has summoned all seven teams to a meeting June 29 in Paris to discuss their withdrawal at the U.S. Grand Prix. They potentially face disciplinary action.

Additionally, FIA President Max Mosely has stated publicly he believes Michelin should compensate fans who attended the U.S. Grand Prix.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Its a shame that there were issuses with the michelins, I was really looking forward to watching that race. I just cant believe that the FIA wouldnt put a chicain to slow them down so they could have a full field of cars. The Jordan's and Minardis were loving it, thats the highest they have ever finished. I also think its stupid to punish the teams for dropping out I mean who wants to go 200+ on tires that are shredding apart.

GO RENAULT!!
    1994 Z28 Camaro-Project carbed 4th gen
    1995 Silverado-beater truck
    2005 Colorado Z71-Daily driver

Comment

I just can't understand how they did not test and or know well in advance. With the budgets these teams and tire manufacturers have it just floors me to think that they would head into an event unprepared or in the dark.
      97 TA, M6, JBA ceramic coated headers, Borla Cat-back exhaust, 1.6 RR, 160 Thermo, LT4 knock sensor, CAI, Bils, Hotchkis all around, GT rotors, B&M shifter, Magnecor wires, Granatelli MAF
      In the shop LT4 Intake and heads.

Comment

some one posted that on one of the local forums a few days ago, i thought it was pretty hilarious.
        -Nick-
        95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by 95z28

some one posted that on one of the local forums a few days ago, i thought it was pretty hilarious.

Best tires I ever owned.
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
            Best tires I ever owned.
            they make the best tires. i got to tour thier greenville sc plant..the only Fed to ever tour it... security and quality control is unreal........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
            X